• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Macclesfield Town Matchday Thread

rustle

Ward looked confident and made some good saves. He looks a good replacement for Pym from his performance this afternoon. Ajose was disappointing after a good start but it took a while for Bowman to settle last season, so prepared to give him time this early in the season.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
What a load of $4!te that was!!!
Let's start with the positives. We won and we have a decent looking goalkeeper who made two very good saves and one comfortable that I'm in disagreement of both previous comments on it (yes Pete, Pym would have saved but no SEA it wouldn't have been comfortable it would have been more like finger tips. It's amazing what another five inches can do for you).
Now for the rest of it. We lacked pace, width and any creativity in our play until Ajose went off who was actually the wrong player to take off when we're still looking to get a goal from somewhere. Law coming inside was by far and away the right call but Lee Martin should have been coming on for the woefully poor Archie Collins. The poor kid had a nightmare today. The game passed him by today and when it came to him he could pass wind. Somebody else suffering with the inability to pass wind was Pierce Sweeney. I like Sweeney but he seems to be running on last seasons poor form and Taylor needs to get somebody in to put some pressure on Sweeney for his place in the side. Deano pretty poor again at left back, it was a good job we weren't playing a decent side otherwise he would have been shredded. Martin and Parkes looked fairly solid but, as has been alluded to in pre-season, they lack pace.
Randall Williams was in and out of the game, as you might expect from a winger, and he going to be frustrating. He's going to beat players but then it will be down to his final delivery and today it wasn't there. Taylor looked a bit better than he did last season but still isn't biting like he used to in the middle. Nicky Law, as I said all last season, is wasted playing on the left hand side. How many times last season were substitutions made, like today, where he has been pulled inside where he should be starting and changed the complexion of the game for the better. He should be starting in the middle of park every game. He is our best ball player. He is our most inventive player. He is our most influential player. Matt Taylor wake up and smell the coffee. Play Law where he should be playing and if means dropping Taylor or Collins to accommodate it, then so be it. And then when we're at home you can play two wingers and a creative midfielder who can serve our starved strikeforce who had absolutely no bloody service today whatsoever. I'm not sure what cross Ramone saw for the goal. It was a mishit shot from Law that was that bad it was going to go out for a throw in above the six yard and that's how it managed to hit Bowman on the shins (and he didn't have a clue about it) before bobbling it's way into the back of the net.
At the end of the day though, it's three points and a start to the season. We will play a hundred times better this season and get tanked.

STURTZ

Sure everybody has said it, scrappy performance, won by a lucky goal. Macclesfield won't be challenging this season and we looked no better. For me our back four looked accident prone and we couldn't build any kind of platform to work from. Parkers especially looked shakey and compounded it by missing an easy chance, although he was unlucky to see a goal bound header blocked by Lee Martin.
Bowman worked hard and put himself about,, I would make him my MotM.

geoffwp

Phew. That were bloody close.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Bowman not happy with the performance

Stelios

A win's a win etc but sadly we still have fundamental problems in the side. The full backs aren't good enough over 90 minutes and the midfield Taylor/Collins combo is too weak. Too disjointed between defence/midfield and attack.

The performance was frightingly similar to too many games last season. "Didn't show up in the 1st half". "Took a while to get going". This was a Macclesfield barely able to cobble together a match day squad (5 subs named). We get "done" tactically by the opposition. They know our weaknesses and we take a while to respond.

Why can't we hit the ground running and put ordinary sides under pressure straight away at SJP? It keeps happening.

Hopefully Atangana can do a job when fit (DON"T rush him back though)

Lee Martin was on fire at the end of last season along with Bowman and should have started if fit. Law has to play in the middle.

Ajose is going to need the whole team to be buzzing to get the best out of him. Bowman is a battering ram with a bit of nouse so can make things happen when the team is struggling.

Feels like another scrape the playoffs if lucky kind of squad. Happy to be proved wrong and yes it's only 1 game!

Bowman not happy with the performance

Good lad. Take responsibility and move on. He can't do any more and he scored. He has struck me of late as a very settled and motivated individual.

Stelios

Good lad. Take responsibility and move on. He can't do any more and he scored. He has struck me of late as a very settled and motivated individual.
Yes. Have been very impressed with him on and off the pitch (y)

A win's a win etc but sadly we still have fundamental problems in the side. The full backs aren't good enough over 90 minutes and the midfield Taylor/Collins combo is too weak. Too disjointed between defence/midfield and attack.

The performance was frightingly similar to too many games last season. "Didn't show up in the 1st half". "Took a while to get going". This was a Macclesfield barely able to cobble together a match day squad (5 subs named). We get "done" tactically by the opposition. They know our weaknesses and we take a while to respond.

Why can't we hit the ground running and put ordinary sides under pressure straight away at SJP? It keeps happening.

Hopefully Atangana can do a job when fit (DON"T rush him back though)

Lee Martin was on fire at the end of last season along with Bowman and should have started if fit. Law has to play in the middle.

Ajose is going to need the whole team to be buzzing to get the best out of him. Bowman is a battering ram with a bit of nouse so can make things happen when the team is struggling.

Feels like another scrape the playoffs if lucky kind of squad. Happy to be proved wrong and yes it's only 1 game!
Really good point about Atangana. His showreel on Youtube may deal with much of the midfield concerns people are raising here. He appears to be big, robust and yet quick and elegant. It is worth a watch. Hopefully, like Ryan has/will, he will settle and become a big asset.

Wins a win I suppose. Ward impressed.

Massively soured by a group of fans chanting pro Tommy Robinson songs and calling another fan a paki by the big bank heart. The lad moved away but I have two names of the culprits if anyone wants them. Small minded Devon at its worst