• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Macclesfield Town Matchday Thread

Couple of points. 1 I am curious what goal bonus Ryan Bowman may be on? Or any player? I presume there are such bonuses? He is worth it. On another note, I am waiting to see the action of "savegate" It has always struck me as unfair on keepers if they are saving shots which would beat most keepers (not sure here, yet) that they do not get bonuses. Hard to tell I suppose but I do like the cut of the boy Ward's jib:)

2 When is Nigel A due to be match fit? I have just watched his 2017-2018 highlights package again and, provided he will be fit, settled, motivated and committed, (big ask) he really looks to be the real deal and hopefully the answer to any midfield concerns. He has everything HB had but is also physical and defends. Sounds a bit like a Sony TV but, possibly the STJP Vieira? Hope so. Johnny.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
We were certainly more in control when Lee Martin came on and they started tiring and looking more to hold what they had. Law was able to get into the game and Williams got the ball in more threatening areas. Up until then though, they were able to play around us with Bowman getting frustrated as he was the only outfield player with any intensity to his game off the ball.

Matt has a problem if he wants to play two up front. We haven't really got the midfield who can control the game when we are faced with an opposing central midfield three. Hopefully Atangana is the answer or we need to look at a different set up. Three at the back could work but we haven't really got wing backs apart from maybe Sparkes on the left.
You control the game by keeping the ball. To do that, you play your best ball player in the most influential position and then partner him up with somebody who can do the ugly stuff around him. Or in City terms, play Law in the middle and pick one from three best equipped to do the rest.

https://www.skysports.com/efl/championship/video/11776902/exeter-1-0-macclesfield. Don't think posted yet? I think RB directed that in but am partway through a bottle of Cava so could be wrong. No highlights of saves in this. Will turn up later, I imagine. Parkes should have scored. Johnny

Rosencrantz

You control the game by keeping the ball. To do that, you play your best ball player in the most influential position and then partner him up with somebody who can do the ugly stuff around him. Or in City terms, play Law in the middle and pick one from three best equipped to do the rest.
Collins is really a more attacking player who is doing a job, Jake is a box to boxer, Atangana is injured which leaves Tillson whose passing slows the side down. If we are playing against another 4-4-2 then fine. But today they had three against two in the middle until Law went inside meaning sacrificing a striker. Then we got control. Unless big Nige is the league two Viera, we will have this problem against teams who play three centrally, even if we are at it more than today.

ryancooper327

Collins’ dead balls weren’t too bad last season, Williams’ and Law’s today were a little off. Maybe Collins should take corners/ wide free kicks again.

Fareham Grecian

https://www.skysports.com/efl/championship/video/11776902/exeter-1-0-macclesfield. Don't think posted yet? I think RB directed that in but am partway through a bottle of Cava so could be wrong. No highlights of saves in this. Will turn up later, I imagine. Parkes should have scored. Johnny
Yep, clear from the video that Bowman knew what he was doing.

I loves Ryan I does.

Spoonz Red E

Collins is really a more attacking player who is doing a job, Jake is a box to boxer, Atangana is injured which leaves Tillson whose passing slows the side down. If we are playing against another 4-4-2 then fine. But today they had three against two in the middle until Law went inside meaning sacrificing a striker. Then we got control. Unless big Nige is the league two Viera, we will have this problem against teams who play three centrally, even if we are at it more than today.
A big factor in the passing slowing the side down is what the receiving player does. We weren't as good as Macclesfield in our movement and creating delivery options for the player with possession.

grecIAN Harris

Law didn't exactly play I. A conventional midfield position today when he went inside. It was more like No 10.
It doesn't matter if we're playing against three or ten in midfield if we've got the ball and the best way of keeping the ball is by playing the person best equipped to look after it and distribute it effectively in the middle, or Law. We always look better and more progressive when he is in there.

conker

Yep, clear from the video that Bowman knew what he was doing.

I loves Ryan I does.
It looks pretty clearly intentional to me.

Quite bizarre that the BBC match report suggests that it is the flukiest goal ever scored.

IndoMike

Disappointing turn-out on Exeweb MDT : just 7 pages. Anyone know where I can get a more comprehensive live text for matchdays?
Very good opening day attendance at SJP As often happens when the attendance is high, City fail to excite and some will not come back.
It's time Matt finally realised and sorted out a few things, which were obvious from last season (so this is not a knee jerk reaction).
1. Sweeney has not been in form for ages.
2. Jake should not be a shoe- in.
3. It's criminal to play your most dynamic, creative and energetic midfielder out on the wing.
4. Moxey at best is a left-side centre back, and too exposed at left back. Sparkes MUST be given a chance.
5. This team needs an injection of youth and energy. For a year now we've been plodding along.

Matt has had a year to build his own team, and it seems that the club has backed him.
I still support him of course, but the players we have only permit one system, cos we don't have attacking full backs.

Last edited: