• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Leyton Orient official match day thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Two things on the penalty, The Chimp might have a point. It did have a touch of the Martyn Rogers against Leicester about it. The foul was outside the box but Randall landed inside the box which was enough to convince the ref. As for Jay's penalties, he is watching the keepers movement right up until the moment he takes it which is why they seem so lack lasture but Jay knows where the keeper is going so he doesn't have to put that much effort into them.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
If I was the keeper against a Jay penalty I'd fake to go one way and then dive the other way, simple :geek:

Not sure the goalkeeping coaches are putting the hours in !

CC

The foul was outside the box but Randall landed inside the box which was enough to convince the ref.
I guess the defender didn't complain as if it was deemed outside the box it would have been a red card rather than yellow.

Alistair20000

If I was the keeper against a Jay penalty I'd fake to go one way and then dive the other way, simple :geek:

Not sure the goalkeeping coaches are putting the hours in !
Would the keeper even need to dive ?

Just stand still.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster

Just stand still.
Standing still could still see the ball dribble beyond the keeper.

Also perhaps Jay has a backup plan, i.e. if the keeper stands still he blasts it one side.

Alistair20000

Stand still and kick it away into touch when it finally rocks up. It is travelling so slow.

arthur

Just stand still.
I am a firm believer in the Jack Charlton view on how to take a penalty. "Decide which side you're gong to put it, then hit it there, very hard"

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am a firm believer in the Jack Charlton view on how to take a penalty. "Decide which side you're gong to put it, then hit it there, very hard"
i.e. Chris Waddle and Stuart Pearce.

Rosencrantz

Also perhaps Jay has a backup plan, i.e. if the keeper stands still he blasts it one side.
Can't remember which game it was but a goalkeeper did stand still earlier in the season (at the St James Road end) and MJ firmly slotted it past him more towards the bottom right corner. It wasn't right in the corner and it was a firm side foot rather than hit hard but still the keeper couldn't react quick enough.

It is a technique that requires bottle and some technique to adjust your foot right at the last moment to open it out or close it depending on which way the keeper dives but it is working for MJ so far.

IndoMike

Not so easy for the taker to change what he's gonna do at the last minute, Chappy. Imo from the keeper's perspective he should never move until the last second, hence putting all the pressure onto the penalty taker to take a good one. What can't be argued is that Jay takes them and scores them.