• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Leyton Orient Match Day Thread.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Regarding Aaron Martin, as a defender he isn't perfect, sometimes I think he could be more aggressive and his lack of pace concerns me however that could be said about Sweeney, Moxey, Parkes, Warren and Woodman, none of them are quick.

Matt Taylor seems to be irritated by the fact their striker was allowed to hold the ball up near the half way line for the second goal. If Martin had come clattering through the back of their striker and they had scored from the resulting free kick who would have got the blame ? Their striker passed the ball to their central midfielder who played it wide to an attacking player who cut inside and had a shot, if people are being consistent in terms of being critical you could ask if the likes of Sweeney, Williams and Collins could have done more to stop the shot.

Aaron Martin certainly isn't perfect and he has his weak points however we are a league 2 side, if people are going to demand near perfect defending from Martin they need to demand it from everyone else in our back line.

Matt Taylor was an excellent lower league defender however he didn't win every battle every week.
It wasn't just the second goal Angol got easy possession, it was pretty much all game until Parkes came on. As I said before, Aaron has many good attributes for a defender, but at this level defending long straight balls into a centre forward is fundamental stuff and it is a recurring thing with Aaron. Matt might not have won every battle in his day, but at least the centre forward knew he had been in a battle.

StroudGrecian

Regarding Aaron Martin, as a defender he isn't perfect, sometimes I think he could be more aggressive and his lack of pace concerns me however that could be said about Sweeney, Moxey, Parkes, Warren and Woodman, none of them are quick.

Matt Taylor seems to be irritated by the fact their striker was allowed to hold the ball up near the half way line for the second goal. If Martin had come clattering through the back of their striker and they had scored from the resulting free kick who would have got the blame ? Their striker passed the ball to their central midfielder who played it wide to an attacking player who cut inside and had a shot, if people are being consistent in terms of being critical you could ask if the likes of Sweeney, Williams and Collins could have done more to stop the shot.

Aaron Martin certainly isn't perfect and he has his weak points however we are a league 2 side, if people are going to demand near perfect defending from Martin they need to demand it from everyone else in our back line.

Matt Taylor was an excellent lower league defender however he didn't win every battle every week.
I'm just going on the highlights but I have to agree with this - if anyone is to blame it is Collins who should have done much more to block the shot, rather than Martin with an unlucky deflection.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The ref was poor, no doubt about it. He wasn't particularly biased towards one team though. He blew up for fouls on occasions where it would have been advantageous to allow play to carry on (this happened to both sides) and Ling should have been sent of as he commited at least 3 yellow card offences but only received the one yellow. Laws ruled out goal seemed dubious and the ref just generally didnt know what he was doing. Having said all that its not easy to ref a game when one of the teams is doing their upmost to disrupt the flow, feigning injury etc etc.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Having said all that its not easy to ref a game when one of the teams is doing their upmost to disrupt the flow, feigning injury etc etc.
As long as we're at or near the top, Orient won't be the last team to do this at SJP. We just have to handle it and hope for a decent referee now and then.

grecIAN Harris

The ref was poor, no doubt about it. He wasn't particularly biased towards one team though. He blew up for fouls on occasions where it would have been advantageous to allow play to carry on (this happened to both sides) and Ling should have been sent of as he commited at least 3 yellow card offences but only received the one yellow. Laws ruled out goal seemed dubious and the ref just generally didnt know what he was doing. Having said all that its not easy to ref a game when one of the teams is doing their upmost to disrupt the flow, feigning injury etc etc.
It is. You get control of it. You book players when they're blatently time wasting as the rules allow. You get players off of the pitch for treatment as soon as it is apparent they are fit enough to be moved and you get players off of the pitch on the nearest available touchline when they are being substituted as the rules now dictate should happen. That is refereeing game management and allowing the game to be as free flowing as possible.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
As long as we're at or near the top, Orient won't be the last team to do this at SJP. We just have to handle it and hope for a decent referee now and then.
That's right. There'll be no time wasting when we're 2 up.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
That is such a stupid idiotic comment. Go ahead and say the officials today were various kinds of crap, but to suggest that the referee was bent, which your comment suggests, is totally out of order. From what I can gather, I think its safe to say he was equally as unsatisfactory for both teams on the pitch yesterday.
Having now watched the EFL Goals show I stand by my "hand ball " comment and the fact it clearly shows Nicky Law getting hit in the chest with the ball before scoring a perfectly good goal and then seen after he scored getting annoyed with the ref who thought he saw something he didn't !

The ref cheated us out of winning 3-2 end of !

TSW1389

In the 60th minute I think. Very early which adds to the ‘game management’.

Also, why is this never enforced:

‘An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:
  • controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it
Has this law ever been enforced? Would speed up the game massively. Keepers must average 6+ seconds holding the ball!

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dust settled now and after sleeping have just about come to the acceptance that, as confirmed yesterday, at this level we are going to continue to see more than our fair share of incompetent referees and their assistants.

Lewis Ward:
Seemed a little less assured. Could not have done too much about either goal but had one very dodgy moment late in second half when trying to deal with a backpass kicking the ball against an opponent and was very fortunate to see the rebound go out of play for a goal kick instead of into the net for what would have undoubtedly been the killer goal.

A bit concerned as he does have previous doing exactly the same against Swindon. That time his blushes were saved by the change in the laws as the ball hit the Swindon player on the elbow before rebounding into the net so that under the new law the goal was disallowed for handball.

Pierce Sweeney:
A sound game although perhaps should have done better with his header from a Williams cross midway through the first half but in the same half also played a perfect through ball for Jake Taylor to run on to and test their keeper.

Dean Moxey:
Once again imperious great distribution and often showing his PL experience and credentials by winning tackles and then even when still under pressure coming away with the ball and finding a City player to start a counter attack whereas a lesser player would content himself with either booting the ball hopefully upfield or into row z.

Aaron Martin:
Not at his best and seemed to be outmuscled by their centre forward from the start and it was no real surprise when he was substituted late on by Parks.

Jack Sparkes:
Has now completed his break through into the first team and playing really well offering an attacking threat with his ability to deliver really dangerous crosses into the area.

Randell Williams:
Started from where he left off at Carlisle and looked a real threat. One mazy run in particular where he beat a number of defenders but just could not quite get his shot way. First half worked really hard and was popping up all over the pitch. Second half completely different and back to his most frustrating runs going nowhere crosses virtually drying up and not really attempting to take on his defenders. The potential is definitely there but his performances are still very inconsistent.

Nicky Law:
Kept his cool when taking the crucial penalty in the 92 second minute but was not as influential on the game as usual. He was unfortunate to have his well taken first half goal disallowed apparently for handball and from where I was sitting in the IPS it was difficult to see why but noticeable that apart from Law the City players made very little protest.

Jake Taylor:
Battle hard throughout the game and first half had a great chance to score when running on to an inch perfect pass from Pierce Sweeney.

Archie Collins:
Worked really hard and linked play well. A very composed performance for someone of his age.

Lee Martin:
Worked hard as usual but never really threatened or got into the game.

Bowman:
Again put in a shift and indeed did his share of defending had one shot in the first half brilliantly saved bytheir keeper. Apart from that never seriously looked like adding to his goal scoring tally and should done much better on a couple of occasions when through one on one with their keeper his efforts lacking power although to be fair the keeper got his angles just right.

MT made three substitutions:

Alex Fisher:
Came on for Lee Martin with the body language I’ll show them and played like he had something to prove. Had one great chance when he really should have got his head to a cross coming from the right which fizzed across the six yard area.

Tom Parkes:
Came on for Aaron Martin he is a unit who does not take any prisoners and with his physical presence immediately nullified the threat of the striker who had given Aaron Martin such a tough time throughout the match.

Ben Seymour:
Came on for Archie Collins and presented an immediate threat in fact it is arguable as to whether had he come on earlier we might have taken all three points but as it was he had an immediate effect on the game turning inside his defender part way inside the right hand side of the penalty area and being brought down resulting in Nicky Law’s point saving penalty which just kept our noses in front of Swindon at the top of the table.

On now to Tuesday evening and Port Vale likely MT will make a few changes in particular in defence where I think it is odds on Tom Parkes will replace Aaron Martin and Lee Martin will also be back on the bench.

Possibly all three Matt Jay, Alex Fisher and Ben Seymour may also come into consideration for a starting place.

Corey

My report for D3D4 if anyone is interested:

Would appreciate some constructive feedback on my writing 👍