• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Leyton Orient Match Day Thread.

Ex-ciderrr

Pleased we managed to clinch a draw, probably a fair result, the penalty like someone said earlier in the thread did look soft, but it was just the stroke of luck we needed (happens every week no doubt we will have a decision like that against us at some stage in the season).

Thought Orient were a very good side, strong at the back - Bowman didnt have a sniff vs Coulson who dominated him most the game, couple of handy ball players in the middle, Lee Angol caught my eye, good in the air held the ball up fantastically well, was direct and had a turn of pace about him and got his goal. Was a constant problem until Tom Parkes came on and marshalled him out the game superbly, was impressed with Parkes when he came on, as i was with the other 2 subs Fisher and Seymour all given Taylor something to think about going into Tuesday.

I wont bother mentioning the ref.

Looking forward to the game Tuesday, Port Vale have had a good start to the season and picked up some good points - hoping we can keep this run going!

exeter-loyal

My report for D3D4 if anyone is interested:

Would appreciate some constructive feedback on my writing 👍
You put Exeter has the lead instead of 'had' easy mistake to make the letter is right next to it. Great read spot on.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
- Bowman didnt have a sniff vs Coulson who dominated him most the game,
Which is why it was such an inspired substitution to bring on Ben Seymour. Having handled the big strikers so well Coulson couldn't adapt to the different challenge of a small, nippy striker and gave away the penalty.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 360 version

Ashford Grecian

Still unbeaten but we should of put the game to bed, They tried every trick in the book to waste time and the ref fell for it. Our finishing TBH was woeful, missing a hat full of chances. On the plus side saw a cracking game, beautiful weather, Most of all being in Devon, Oh how I miss you
Absolutely spot on - i really didn't want to leave and head back to the smoke... I am not normally one for mentioning referees but I cannot recall a worse display of officiating at any match at any level.. A mention also for Jack Sparkes - thought he had an excellent game and looks a real bright prospect

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I find it absolutely astounding that people want to lay the blame for us not getting all three points at the feet of the referee and a linesman. Be honest, if we had won would the officials be getting very much of a mention? One person after another is having an outrageous dig in the wrong direction. Why not question Bowman, who missed two absolute sitters? Or perhaps Ward, who should have done a whole let better with their first goal? Its totally ridiculous to lay into the officials in such a manner when the team were dire when it mattered most. The referee has arrived at the level he's at because he's climbed the refereeing pyramid no doubt over many seasons. If he was so persistantly bad as people want to make out he'd be demoted FFS.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think anyone is really saying we did not win because of the referee. Just that he had a poor performance. The disallowed goal was debatable (I haven't seen a replay yet, but no Orient player was appealing before the ref blew). He should have sent off Ling for body checking Sparkes as a second yellow (kicking the ball away shortly after was dense also). He ignored advantage for both sides. He did not have control of the game in general and had no respect from the Orient players who continued to do as they pleased.

Bowman was denied by a good block in the first half with a similar chance that he scored against Mansfield. His chance in the second half he took early when he didn't have to. He tends to shoot early, sometimes it works (Macclesfield last season, Mansfield this), sometimes not. We created enough chances to score more and conceded two that we should have done better on, but then doesn't every team.

exeter-loyal

I find it absolutely astounding that people want to lay the blame for us not getting all three points at the feet of the referee and a linesman. Be honest, if we had won would the officials be getting very much of a mention? One person after another is having an outrageous dig in the wrong direction. Why not question Bowman, who missed two absolute sitters? Or perhaps Ward, who should have done a whole let better with their first goal? Its totally ridiculous to lay into the officials in such a manner when the team were dire when it mattered most. The referee has arrived at the level he's at because he's climbed the refereeing pyramid no doubt over many seasons. If he was so persistantly bad as people want to make out he'd be demoted FFS.
If we had of won the referee would have got mentioned, seriously he was awful. Without a doubt Orient should have been down to 9 men and to signal an Orient throw when the Lino was right by it and didn't give it only for their whole management team to come flying out the dug out then 2-3 seconds after finally said it was a throw, disgraceful.

Matt Russell

If we had of won the referee would have got mentioned, seriously he was awful. Without a doubt Orient should have been down to 9 men and to signal an Orient throw when the Lino was right by it and didn't give it only for their whole management team to come flying out the dug out then 2-3 seconds after finally said it was a throw, disgraceful.
Yards away from the 4th official, who was surely the one who gave it.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The decision in fairness was correct but given In for all the wrong reasons. Inept from the lino and ref