• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Harrogate Town Matchday Thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jack sparkes needs to work on his right foot, defensively if a player goes inside then he is all at sea. Similarly going forward he is superb in running up the wing and putting in telling crosses, nobody better, but once he cuts inside and shifts onto his right foot then he struggles. Can't help feeling that a bit of coaching from Craig woodman might help.

tonykellowfan

A back 4 with Key, Sparkes and Hartridge in it is extremely inexperienced.

MT clearly bought Page, McCardle and Caprice assuming they would be first choice, but it hasn't worked out like that.

Unlike Seymour, who for me has shown absolutely nothing in the games he has played, Hartridge looks as though he has the potential to be a good CB, although clearly he made some bad mistakes on Tuesday.

Red Devon

Jack sparkes needs to work on his right foot, defensively if a player goes inside then he is all at sea. Similarly going forward he is superb in running up the wing and putting in telling crosses, nobody better, but once he cuts inside and shifts onto his right foot then he struggles. Can't help feeling that a bit of coaching from Craig woodman might help.
There’s no doubt if Jack’s right foot was anywhere near as good as his left he’d be destined for the Premier League, not sure Graig Woodman is the right person to coach young players on how to improve their right foot though.

IndoMike

To be honest, I don't recall many great left backs who were strong on their right foot. Ray Wilson, Terry Cooper, Ashley Cole were definitely very left-footed. It's just a fact of life that when the winger cuts inside it's much harder for the left back. To counter this the left back needs to invite the right winger to go wide. Maybe the same can be said for right backs, too, when the opposing left-winger attacks.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The problem is these aren't one-offs. Both he and Sparks seem weak defensively and often give the opposition a number of chances each match. My concern is that they are not learning quick enough. Too often, he and Sparks are the "wrong side" of the attacker and this is something that should be easily coached, but as I say, I'm worried because they continually make the same mistakes, defensively.
Jack has struggled a few times when a cross or long ball comes in and he’s left one-on-one with an attacker. He can work on being stronger defensively in that situation but his centre-halves also need to try and make sure he doesn’t get isolated in the first place.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jack has struggled a few times when a cross or long ball comes in and he’s left one-on-one with an attacker. He can work on being stronger defensively in that situation but his centre-halves also need to try and make sure he doesn’t get isolated in the first place.
I think Jack has significantly improved his one on one defending recently. Yes he gets done but what wingback doesn't from time to time?