• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Grimsby Town matchday thread. (postponed)

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
So far we are the only game in the football league to be called off due to the weather.

Andy_H

Looking on the positive side, instead of the 'Eehore' attitude, the rearranged game will be played in better weather conditions and, hopefully, by then the grass will be growing as the days get longer and warmer. Also, maybe, just maybe, we might even have some form of crowd in SJP by then, now wouldn't that be something to cheer about.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Think we have had this argument before. The issue is there is nowhere for the water on the covers to drain away to.
Brush it down the street. Can't we try again tomorrow?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe the postponement is a good thing.

Opponents out of form, horrid pitch, the big front man out.

Heroic rearguard fight at Rodney Parade.

Potential banana skin ?
If you're going to play without your top scorer then better to do it against the worst team in the league.

manc grecian

Didn't the wolfster get us some covers from Taunton?

Not been the same since he left.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Unless they try to fit extra games around Easter it looks like Tuesday 27th April. We have a free date in March but Grimsby already have a game and vice versa for 13th April.

to create an extra date we could make our Friday Monday Easter games saturday Tuesday which frees up a slot on Tuesday 30th March if Grimsby and any other affected clubs could do the same. If fans aren’t allowed then moving the Easter dates should in theory be easier.

if we get any more off it would only leave Tuesday 4th may before needing an extension , or 3 games a week.

David Treharne

In terms of waterlogged areas I presume sections of the pitch are far more problematic than others, surely we could look to protect these areas rather than just hoping for the best.

It probably doesn't help that the ground is built adjacent to a series of arterial springs. Well Street is named for a reason, and the whole area surrounding lower St James drains towards them. I'd also mention that (possibly because of climate change) we've had a series of extremely wet winters which can hardly have helped.

Seeing crowds aren't an issue I suppose the Football League wouldn't allow a switch to the C&F. Yet it is them who have set the date for the end of the season so as not to interfere with the 2020 Euros starting on 11 June 2021. Something will have to give, either allow some flexibility or move the end date for the Football League. Carry on like this us and Carlisle will be playing 3 times a week come April.

crocks

It probably doesn't help that the ground is built adjacent to a series of arterial springs. Well Street is named for a reason, and the whole area surrounding lower St James drains towards them. I'd also mention that (possibly because of climate change) we've had a series of extremely wet winters which can hardly have helped.
I'm a self employed gardener which I have been doing for over 6 years and in that time I have never known the ground to be so waterlogged.

Alistair20000

If you're going to play without your top scorer then better to do it against the worst team in the league.
Just the sort of circumstances where we fook up.

This is Exeter City we are talking about :)