• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v FGR FA Cup 2nd Rnd Replay MDT.

Terryhall

Quiet grumbling first half, booed off at half time. As soon as the players started showing some fight, the crowd got behind them really well.
That was indeed the case.The BB was as very quiet in the 1st half(Understandably so given what they were watching)
FGR supporters were a lot more vocal & there were only a couple of hundred of them.Never thought I would see that scenario at SJP !
Based on the radio commentary I'd agree with both of these. It also sounded like the ref came in for a lot of criticism for what the radio commentators described as some very soft decisions (although looking at the BBC highlights, I don't think we can really complain about the penalty given away by JMT or the Tilson second yellow)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Based on the radio commentary I'd agree with both of these. It also sounded like the ref came in for a lot of criticism for what the radio commentators described as some very soft decisions (although looking at the BBC highlights, I don't think we can really complain about the penalty given away by JMT or the Tilson second yellow)
I liked Tis damning the ref with faint praise - "He was consistent all night".

My only complaint re: the penalty was that Doidge fell in the wrong direction when reminding the ref that he was fouled. Definite pen though.

The BBC highlights don't show Tillson's first yellow but the foul for the red was a yellow all day long, so no complaints again.

Terryhall

I liked Tis damning the ref with faint praise - "He was consistent all night".

My only complaint re: the penalty was that Doidge fell in the wrong direction when reminding the ref that he was fouled. Definite pen though.

The BBC highlights don't show Tillson's first yellow but the foul for the red was a yellow all day long, so no complaints again.
Brunt on co-comms made the same point about consistency, he said that although he didn't think a lot of them were really fouls, as a player at least you know what to expect and you know which tackles you need to back out of. (Another example of some good solid analysis from the playing perspective)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Brunt on co-comms made the same point about consistency, he said that although he didn't think a lot of them were really fouls, as a player at least you know what to expect and you know which tackles you need to back out of. (Another example of some good solid analysis from the playing perspective)
Agreed - while it's somewhat infuriating to have a ref that books players for breathing in the vicinity of their opponent, there's nothing worse than a ref who'll do that but then turns a blind eye when someone is practically sliced in half.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think that's fair - in recent interviews that I can remember he has usually praised the home support.
I can't remember that regarding home games

dontpassback

Don't think Tis is very enamoured with City's home crowd : he doesn't take any criticism shouted down from the stands very well. In his defense, he has occasionally thanked our away fans.
That's not criticism,that's "advice"(rofl)

tonykellowfan

Watching the highlights:

1) That was a stupid penalty to give away
2) Pym should have saved the penalty
3) Both of Tillson's fouls were the height of stupidity
4) We got lucky against a poor team

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's not criticism,that's "advice"(rofl)
Yes : polite advice

Terryhall

Yes : polite advice
"one respectfully suggests that one ought to sort it out, Tisdalethorpe" (?)

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watching the highlights:

1) That was a stupid penalty to give away
2) Pym should have saved the penalty
3) Both of Tillson's fouls were the height of stupidity
4) We got lucky against a poor team
Like the first game (but for different reasons), it was an hour of dross from both sides followed by an hour of pure theatre. My neutral friends (Derby County fans) came away with broad smiles on their faces - their view was that most of the second half and extra time were fantastic, unpredictable entertainment and well worth £15.