• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Crawley Town Matchday Thread

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Very disappointing. We rave about our midfield players each week, and constantly debate who should be in, and therefore unfair on player x being left out etc, but for all their strengths, you'd think at least one of them would have figured out how to feed Ajose by now. Bowman's heading ability is dreadful. Oh well, I will be full of praise again no doubt when we now go on to beat Argyle, Crewe and Cheltenham and wonder what all the fuss was about

exeter-loyal

Very disappointing. We rave about our midfield players each week, and constantly debate who should be in, and therefore unfair on player x being left out etc, but for all their strengths, you'd think at least one of them would have figured out how to feed Ajose by now. Bowman's heading ability is dreadful. Oh well, I will be full of praise again no doubt when we now go on to beat Argyle, Crewe and Cheltenham and wonder what all the fuss was about
If we beat them 3 we will end up going up! I hope your right...

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not even sure he was touched. He was going down before the challenge came, 'anticipating the challenge' is the technical term for diving I think. If it had been given against us I would have been up in arms.
Never a pen. Instead of just crossing the ball Williams stopped following the ball and chose instead to change direction and throw himself over the defender's outstretched leg, who was trying to prevent a cross, not tackle.

Surprised Williams wasn't booked.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Six games in March including as we know massive games against Crewe and Plymouth. Win both those or even only drawing both and as long as we do not drop too many points in the other games we would be going into April with an away game against Cheltenham which, if we win, with then only 4 games to play would give us every chance of going up automatically.

Oldsmobile-88

A point which could be crucial at the end of the season.
I thought we were in for one of those days until Dickensons superb strike.
A bit disjointed,especially in the 1st half where we looked fragile in defence.
Prior to Madison scoring the Grecian back line was caught out & nearly shipped a goal,a warning not heeded.

We certainly will not get away so lightly against Crewe if the defence perform as they did in the first half today.

Red Devon

Six games in March including as we know massive games against Crewe and Plymouth. Win both those or even only drawing both and as long as we do not drop too many points in the other games we would be going into April with an away game against Cheltenham which, if we win, with then only 4 games to play would give us every chance of going up automatically.
Six wins and three draws would probably see us promoted!

Exehausted

My take on today. Once I saw the line up my first thought was Matt is saving players for Tuesday. Deanno in for Parkes and Nicky in for Archie. As I keep saying, this is the strongest squad I can remember in 53 seasons and Matt is using it very well. I don't think people on here have given anything like enough praise to the players from both sides for making it, for me, another exciting match in atrocious conditions. Yes we looked vulnerable at the back in the first half but a lot of that was to do with the wind, which Crawley played very well. I don't think any of us in the stands has any appreciation of how tricky things were. I agree with some others, Big Nige was my MOM. He did the simple things really well and he made some great challenges. Jake Taylor wasn't far behind him. My only disappointment is how poor the pitch is. Having spent over £50,000 on it in the summer of 2018 I am shocked how bad it is. It has had 18 days rest and it looked very patchy in front of the IP Office before kick off and it is no surprise that it cut up so badly. I know people will say that we have had a lot of rain, but we do every winter. I heard Gary Jonhson on the radio on the way home and he praised the ground staff at Torquay for coming in at 2am on Friday morning to make sure the tarpaulins covering the pitch remained in place during the high winds. Did we bother to cover our pitch? I doubt it. I've said it before and I was roundly criticised, but I don't think Clive Pring is up to the job and we need to bring in someone who is.

Rosencrantz

My take on today. Once I saw the line up my first thought was Matt is saving players for Tuesday. Deanno in for Parkes and Nicky in for Archie. As I keep saying, this is the strongest squad I can remember in 53 seasons and Matt is using it very well. I don't think people on here have given anything like enough praise to the players from both sides for making it, for me, another exciting match in atrocious conditions. Yes we looked vulnerable at the back in the first half but a lot of that was to do with the wind, which Crawley played very well. I don't think any of us in the stands has any appreciation of how tricky things were. I agree with some others, Big Nige was my MOM. He did the simple things really well and he made some great challenges. Jake Taylor wasn't far behind him. My only disappointment is how poor the pitch is. Having spent over £50,000 on it in the summer of 2018 I am shocked how bad it is. It has had 18 days rest and it looked very patchy in front of the IP Office before kick off and it is no surprise that it cut up so badly. I know people will say that we have had a lot of rain, but we do every winter. I heard Gary Jonhson on the radio on the way home and he praised the ground staff at Torquay for coming in at 2am on Friday morning to make sure the tarpaulins covering the pitch remained in place during the high winds. Did we bother to cover our pitch? I doubt it. I've said it before and I was roundly criticised, but I don't think Clive Pring is up to the job and we need to bring in someone who is.
Spending £50k on the pitch doesn't get you much these days. Argyle spent £500k on theirs remember (or that's what it cost anyway, they didn't actually pay in the end). I heard Pat Baldwin say on RD on the way home that the Park is the most physically draining pitch he played on at this time of year.

If we get the windfall in the summer from Ollie being sold, yes put some into the budget, but put some aside to get a modern pitch and give Clive a break.

logman

1st half - we were $h1te.

2nd half - we were better.

Moxey was generally woeful, his lack of pace is a total liability, Sweeney was generally poor.

Why is Bowman undroppable ? He's nowhere near his best yet he starts every game.

Positives - Richardson looked decent again on the right, Lee Martin added some energy which improved us and Law started showing some form again in the second half.
That is a very good and fair summary. The keeper saved us twice from two Moxey errors unfortunately he couldn't save us from the one in between those two errors. We got lucky today, on another day we would have been 3 down and the opposition out of sight.

That said, you need a bit of luck to win promotion so on to a massive game on Tuesday, one which the players should be well up for.

robchave

Crossing today was generally woeful. Either over-hit or dropped on top of the keeper.
As we never seem to score from corners, why don't we try a few different routines?
Oh yeah, Money had a mare.