• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter city V Brentford JPT Matchday Thread

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I haven't read much of this thread but I'm assuming it's an exeweb meltdown with many a proverbial lemming hurling themselves off the proverbial cliff. And I'm equally certain the challenged few will be saying 'Goodbye Mr Tisdale' albeit not quite so eloquently. Whilst I may not have the footballing nous of my peers, I thought I'd give my interpretation of the game. Feel free to skip this post if you're so inclined.
I will confess to having the slight handicap of an elderly pc. So what I watched was more akin to a 1920's film but in colour. It was a little difficult to tell one red and white juddering blur from another, whilst the commentary was usually a minute or two ahead of the visuals. [I use the word 'visuals' in it's broadest sense]. Now, with those caveats in place...
I have to say I thought Brentford were a very solid side. [When I say 'Brentford', I mean the blurs that weren't red and white which may also have included the referee and the linesmen]. In the first half they were very much the organised army marching to battle. We, however, were more the scrappy SJP Freedom Fighters nipping at their heels but not really doing much damage. Whilst we didn't fight like Trojans, it could be argued that there was the odd wooden horse on display. That said, I still felt it was unfortunate to reach the half-time truce two nil down. The fault for the goals, it has to be said, was the other side. B*ggers!
Second half I thought we looked a lot brighter. Most of that, I suspect, was due to General Logan coming onto the field of play. He just seemed to galvanise the troops and give them heart. A bit of spirit. Whilst not quite competing with Brentford on an equal footing, the gap had closed considerably. I had hope in my heart. We came so close to scoring the one goal that would have turned the match on it's head. If we had got it early second half then you could sense the opposing troops would have broken a little. There were signs of that towards the end of the first half when thingy whatsit was getting very riled.
But it wasn't to bee [pun intended]. Lady Luck had clearly gone on a date tonight. I'm reluctant to use the old cliche that we 'didn't have the rub of the green' as I'm not quite a 100% on it's meaning. I just get unpleasant images of an immoral encounter with an Argyle supporter. Not a pleasant thought.
The, literal, last minute goal was just a minute - maybe two - too late. If only. Oh, if only.
Tonight we had a reasonable performance against an unexpectedly proficient side. [My current theory is that the travelling Brentford team were abducted and replaced by aliens from an advanced footballing civilisation]. Tis learnt from the first half and adapted. It just wasn't meant to be. Doom and gloom? No, not really. We missed out on another trip to wembley but that was always going to be a bonus.Now we can concentrate more on league advancement. So, we lost a side skirmish. But the war has a long way to go yet ... :)

older-codger

I have not felt as angry about a City performance since the days of Gerry Francis. It was absolutely diabolical and clueless in tactics and in execution.

I seriously wonder whether Tis has lost the plot

Liam McNamara

nice one raeuk a good post that!!! better than my general rants of tis out! but i do believe hes at fault. heres to saturday.

bootesful

Saturday was exceptional; wind and Huddersfield's position meant that the game would be out of the ordinary. But having witnessed the absolute misery at Swindon, I'm now worried. Tonight was a repeat; zero passion, zero ideas. The goal was lovely, but at 94 1/2 minutes in it only serves to give a false impression in the record books.

Whatever's gone wrong needs to be sorted. The idea that a new manager would do it is quite simply laughable at this stage- bet Bristol Rovers board thought that a new man would give them the bounce. Something's wrong behind the scenes, let's hope it was te expectation of a Wembley final and that's now lifted.

Still really disappointed.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tonight we had a reasonable performance against an unexpectedly proficient side. [My current theory is that the travelling Brentford team were abducted and replaced by aliens from an advanced footballing civilisation]. Tis learnt from the first half and adapted. It just wasn't meant to be. Doom and gloom? No, not really. We missed out on another trip to wembley but that was always going to be a bonus.Now we can concentrate more on league advancement. So, we lost a side skirmish. But the war has a long way to go yet ... :)
I thought slightly differently; I thought tonights was an utter crap performance against an avarage Brentford side. Tis has made so many errors of judgement on team selection etc over the past three or four games that it beggars belief!

Last edited:

bootesful

Saturday was exceptional; wind and Huddersfield's position meant that the game would be out of the ordinary. But having witnessed the absolute misery at Swindon, I'm now worried. Tonight was a repeat; zero passion, zero ideas. The goal was lovely, but at 94 1/2 minutes in it only serves to give a false impression in the record books.

Whatever's gone wrong needs to be sorted. The idea that a new manager would do it is quite simply laughable at this stage- bet Bristol Rovers board thought that a new man would give them the bounce. Something's wrong behind the scenes, let's hope it was te expectation of a Wembley final and that's now lifted.

Still really disappointed.

secret poster

Code:
Who really gives a sh*t about this crap trophy game anyway?
Tisdale was totally wrong IMO to play a weakened side in a game we should have won. To give up 3 points in search of Cup glory may be his eventual downfall, if it costs us relegation. He got it totally wrong. Tonight merely was further proof that City are in trouble. 3 home games on the trot and 3 defeats is unacceptable and does not bode well for the future.

As a loanee Harley is atrocious. If we didn't know him already I am sure his loan would be terminated and he would be returned to his parent club....send him back now.

Will be interesting to read what all the brain dead rose tinters have to say. I am sure they will put a positive spin on things "we've never had it so good", "how soon we forget", "we own our football club (Do we f*ck!)", "Tisdale is our messiah".

The last three games we have been totally pathetic and a shadow of the team that beat Argyle away. We appear a club in freefall. Like everybody else on here I have no real idea how to address it. At least we can look forward to playing Torquay next season. In darkness there is always light
Oh dear, Oh dear

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is Tully injured? Remembering his battle with Weston and that lung-busting effort in the 90th+ minute at their place, made me think at the time, he was playing for his mate.

But, for this one, not even on the bench? He must be injured, mustn't he?

Last time I saw Duffy (can't remember where it was now) play at RB in place of Tully when he was injured, he was woeful, as he was again tonight.

Grecian_in_Plymouth

I am not one to over react immediaitely after a game when we lost , i am so disappointed , disappointed and disapointed. not bothered about spelling i eiter ..

Red Box

Something's wrong behind the scenes
Probably the most astute quote of the night !