• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter city V Brentford JPT Matchday Thread

Mackster

We cried out for a Stanno type player today.....such a shame.
I know where your coming from. When we played Millwall last season, we played a lot better, but never looked like scoring until Stanno chased a ball he never had a right to get, crossed it and went in off the far post.

We had no one at all who showed that level of commitment who would harry defenders into making mistakes and would chase apparent lost causes. This made it all too easy for the Bees.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
...I thought tonights was an utter crap performance against an avarage Brentford side. Tis has made so many errors of judgement on team selection...
I appreciate your point of view, Pete and I suggest viva la difference - albeit mine is one of ignorance. I thought Brentford were very well organised (think worker ants swarming across their territory). We didn't quite meet that first half but Tis changed things a little and we were closer to meeting them. I appreciate I'm in a minority of one but don't see that saturdays team in any way rested this one. I think Tis takes each match as it comes and was mindfull of injuries ...

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tonight we had a reasonable performance
What planet etc?? That was absolutely and unutterably dire - the worst since Brighton away last season and perhaps even worse than that.

Total shots on target, up until Nardiello's 94th minute goal, precisely NIL. Ditto the number of good crosses and the number of well taken corners. The number of headers we won in the opponents half was minimal.

The midfield was simply awful.. Harley and Noble endlessly ******* about - no pace, no thought, no width, no intellligence, just the occasional ball forward in reminiscent of the "there you are Stanno, run after that" approach that I thought we had moved on from.

All I can say is it's just as well because "concentrating on the league" is exactly what we'll need to do starting now. Make no mistake, that, together with most of the rest of 2011's performances, is relegation form.

Something is going to have to change radically, soon. If Tis bames the pitch and the three in 6 days scenario he will be fooling no-one but himself. Brentford played 48 hours earlier and managed to run all over our heavy pitch, constantly closing us down for 95 minutes.... They wanted it far more than us, they had far more ideas than us and they thoroughly deserved it. That City team, playing like that at Wembley would have been a total embarrassment - thank God we've been spared it

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

We cried out for a Stanno type player today.....such a shame.
No we didn't, he'd have been up there scratching his head like Cureton must have been wondering when when someone was going to play him a decent ball. We cried out for a midfield today.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Also how does every goalkeeper weve had in recent times kick the ball into touch so often , Hamer tonight , Jonesy and Kyrsiak.....

surely its a basic skill.

elginCity

the worst since Brighton away last season and perhaps even worse than that.
Steady on Arthur, we know you can be emotional at times.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
What planet etc?? ...
Oh, completely different to yours, Arthur. I trust you read my caveats and appreciate I usually only ever hear the matches ...

Last edited:

information_ministry

Well-known Exeweb poster
No we didn't, he'd have been up there scratching his head like Cureton must have been wondering when when someone was going to play him a decent ball. We cried out for a midfield today.
I thought we cried out for a defence, a midfield, an attack, some width, some passion, some control, and just a plan today

i_m

Mogga

Respect for fighting the siege, I totally agree. All will be forgotten in a few weeks when we're doing alright again.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
We needed someone who could take the game by the scruff of the neck and with a lung bursting run , or crunching tackle or something to get the crowd going/something to build on...

We needed a leader , we didnt have one.