• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Barrow AFC Match Day Thread

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Appreciate your optimism but why would 'top half finish' have been the aim this season? It's worse than our finish last season and on top of that we have had a Watkins windfall like very few clubs in the history of league two. I can't understand why we'd lower our expectations this season. We retained our key players and we had a massive, massive financial boost that the other 23 clubs in the league could only dream of...
The playing budget was cut this season. No Watkins windfall to spend

paperclip

Two months ago I said Bowman can't head, can't dribble, is not technically good, can't shoot, can't anticipate, isn't determined enough to get to the ball in the box, but tries hard. The Bowman fanatics jumped down my throat, but tell me where I am wrong. We need better if we are to be serious contenders, and we need two of them.
But, all the blame can't be aimed at Bowman. There are many other reasons and mitigating circumstances, starting with the disastrous signing of Ajose and continuing with transfer gossip including Williams and Randall, injuries, limited squad.
Somehow I felt this squad were not quite right mentally. The inconsistency was sometimes difficult to comprehend
The fact is thought that MT had to release several players (I would have kept A Martin and Dickenson) and didn't add anyone of note in January
I would give MT one more season and the funds needed to get two or three quality players in. But it MUST be autos or bye bye next season.
One more thing, and this is speculation, I'd like MT to loosen up a bit. He comes across as a bit humourless and serious. Maybe he's not like that around the team, so forgive me if I'm wrong.
Finally, many of us have said he needs an old hand to guide and help him. Tis had his SP and Matt had wotsisname at the start of his first season.
You are wrong. He's not at all like that. Perhaps you are confusing him with the previous manager?!!

gui

I like MT . I like the fact that in the last 3 games we had 5 strikers in the pitch in the last few minutes to try to score a goal . I’ve watched a lot of games on IFollow this season . Thing is , we lack quality . Not the fault of the manager if some of our players are quite below par and average . We need to play with more panache , tempo and physicality . We need for sure to let go many players and bring warriors into the team . It should be an interesting few weeks . Keep faith my friends . We were not good enough this season . Let’s do it next season . It will be an interesting next few weeks at St James Park .

IndoMike

You are wrong. He's not at all like that. Perhaps you are confusing him with the previous manager?!!
The previous manager was VERY popular with the players. I did say it was speculation on my part and that maybe I was wrong. I just got that impression.

crocks

Failure to add depth to the midfield and forward line in January was the telling factor (apart from Wilmott - who only woke up today because it was his last game). And it is that area that Taylor needs to concentrate on in the summer. I will not be impressed if he signs another centre half!! If he needs help with finding midfield/forward talent, then that should be the first person to be recruited.

Grecian2K

The contractors will be in soon and we can start to look forward.....
To some additional student housing on the site?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tend to agree with you. Why would anybody want Collins and Sparks to leave? There are dozens of clubs that would snap them up. You win as a team and you lose as a team. I think Collins is an important player for us and I suspect we would miss him if he left. Would cost a fair whack to replace too.
I think Collins and Sparkes are standard L2 midfielders but you can argue that neither have improved this year. Collins, in fairness to him has played pretty much every game, and although he's not been brilliant he's a steady 6 or 7 out of 10 player pretty much every week. Sparkes, considering he was supposed to be our next big thing, has flattered to deceive. I'm sure he's getting slower as he gets older. It's like he's got lead weights in his boots.

IndoMike

Agreed but not sure there would be many clubs lining up for Sparkes. Terrible season from him.
I remember a couple of seasons ago Taggy saying he thought that Sparkes would be our next big thing. I wouldn't say he's had a terrible season but he hasn't shown much improvement either, disappointing in that he is at an age where you'd hope he'd be learning and getting better. There's still time, though.

gui

Law should not have been allowed to leave in the middle of our promotion push . We were very naive .

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Collins and Sparkes are standard L2 midfielders but you can argue that neither have improved this year. Collins, in fairness to him has played pretty much every game, and although he's not been brilliant he's a steady 6 or 7 out of 10 player pretty much every week. Sparkes, considering he was supposed to be our next big thing, has flattered to deceive. I'm sure he's getting slower as he gets older. It's like he's got lead weights in his boots.
His stats show another story. Football recruitment is reliant on the stats. Archie has done well this seaso . Sometimes the better players frustrated. Doesn't mean they are bad players.