• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City U23's V Wolverhampton Wanderers U23 Premier league Cup Wednesday 15th September 7.00 pm BST Kick Off

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seymour did well to get us to the group stages at Argyle, but in this and Swansea game should be doing better.

Good match, disappointed with the young cubs wasting time and surely their No.9 should have been booked for kicking the ball away - do they have bookings at this level. Also thought Wolves were tiring come the end, just a shame we couldn't capitalise with too many loose balls.

Disappointing third goal to concede allowing them to walk the ball up the pitch before laying it back, and at times our defence looked all over the place, Wolves seemed to move the ball quicker and with more intent, good effort by the youngsters, I think Wolves showed the benefit of playing in a league together.

Good corners from Dodd and nice to see us score from one

Onto the next one, we are not out yet and the youngsters are giving a good account of themselves against higher category competition.

The better side on the night won.

One thing curious to me is why we started with 4-4-2 when MT seems determined to play 3 in defence with wing backs. Surely, if these under 23 games are preparing players for the first team, then the formation needs to be the same?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The better side on the night won.

One thing curious to me is why we started with 4-4-2 when MT seems determined to play 3 in defence with wing backs. Surely, if these under 23 games are preparing players for the first team, then the formation needs to be the same?
If Ellis Johnson wasn't injured then I think you would see three at the back. As it is, we do not have a right sided player to play RWB or RB really, Pond is shoehorned in there. It looked like Edwards played RWB towards the end of the first half when it looked like we switched to a back three for 10 minutes or so but that would not be ideal for him either.

These games, Dan Green basically gets the players Matt wants to get game time (Archie, Colin Daniel and Owura) to fit in with the young pro's and u18's. You then select a team and formation from what you have.

Last edited:

andrew p long

goals scored for us by a 16 year old and a 17 year old!

Pete Martin (CTID)

Seymour did well to get us to the group stages at Argyle, but in this and Swansea game should be doing better.

Good match, disappointed with the young cubs wasting time and surely their No.9 should have been booked for kicking the ball away - do they have bookings at this level. Also thought Wolves were tiring come the end, just a shame we couldn't capitalise with too many loose balls.

Disappointing third goal to concede allowing them to walk the ball up the pitch before laying it back, and at times our defence looked all over the place, Wolves seemed to move the ball quicker and with more intent, good effort by the youngsters, I think Wolves showed the benefit of playing in a league together.

Good corners from Dodd and nice to see us score from one

Onto the next one, we are not out yet and the youngsters are giving a good account of themselves against higher category competition.
I thought it was mainly Veale taking our corners?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not a bad result considering we're playing a Premier League academy. Realistically Wolves should be winning more comfortably than 3-2.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Ellis Johnson wasn't injured then I think you would see three at the back. As it is, we do not have a right sided player to play RWB or RB really, Pond is shoehorned in there. It looked like Edwards played RWB towards the end of the first half when it looked like we switched to a back three for 10 minutes or so but that would not be ideal for him either.

These games, Dan Green basically gets the players Matt wants to get game time (Archie, Colin Daniel and Owura) to fit in with the young pro's and u18's. You then select a team and formation from what you have.
It is a very slight concern that while we have quite a few players who can play on the left we don't have quite so much cover on the right.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not quite obssessed enough to get up in the middle of the night local time to watch the under-23's so thanks for all the reports from the game. Watching the opening goal makes me wonder whether Daniel has now done enough to prove his fitness and attacking ability and deserves to be in the first team; personally, I think that would be harsh on Caprice but I know lots of people would be happy to see a left footer playing on the left. I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself but I also wonder whether Cox has done enough yet to push himself ahead of Seymour in the pecking order and how long it will be before he finds himself on the bench for the first team.

Oldsmobile-88

Both Wolves & Swansea last week looked a cut above some of the other lacklustre U23 Premier League teams that have turned up at SJP in recent seasons.

Good to see loads of youngsters at the game yesterday evening.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought it was mainly Veale taking our corners?
It may well have been although the commentators were saying Dodd with left footed inswingers, unfortunately the camera often didn't reach that corner. Veale defo took the free kicks.

Jordan Dyers post match

Dan Greens post match