• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City "Setting the Bar" for transfers

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Darren Sarll, Manager of Stevenage:

"To me, Exeter City set the bar for us all in League Two with the sale of 19-year-old Matt Grimes at £1.75m and they did it again with Ollie Watkins last season at £1.8m.

"This is the value of a young lad today with Premier League potential, no matter what league his club are in, with an individual package for the player that reflects the size of the fee."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42662934

As they say on A level papers, "Discuss".

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Re: Wxwter City "Setting the Bar" for transfers

There's no 'W' in Exeter ;)

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

There's no 'W' in Exeter ;)
There is on the tiny keyboard of my phone, next to the E...

Mods can change if they wish, but I'm not fussed.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster

Do Stevenage have some young players to sell in this transfer window? Are they talking the price up? Do bears...

Having said that it is real testimony to ECFC's development of young players, and the skilful way the sales were handled (can it really be only this time last year that some on here were suggesting that Watkins was only worth 250k? Thank heaven we have people in charge who wouldn't sell out at so low a price.)

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

Do Stevenage have some young players to sell in this transfer window? Are they talking the price up? Do bears...

Having said that it is real testimony to ECFC's development of young players, and the skilful way the sales were handled (can it really be only this time last year that some on here were suggesting that Watkins was only worth 250k? Thank heaven we have people in charge who wouldn't sell out at so low a price.)
1) of course

2) Agreed. But we should also note that anyone who said he was only worth £250K was out of the loop. We were offered significantly more than £2m for Watkins this time last year (I was told this by someone senior at the Club, who I won't name) and made a judgement call to ask him to stay and help us get promotion. Which he almost did... And if I understand what happened this summer, we honourably then let him go to his first choice club, as we'd promised him we would, for a fair but lower fee.