• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City on this day

david61

27/3/2021, Exeter 1 Salford 0.

david61

28/3/1992, Exeter 2 Birmingham 1.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster

david61

21/4/1964, Exeter 6 Chesterfield 1.

lamrobhero

I wasn't there myself but I know someone who was, he remembers it well.

Colesman Ballz

I was there sitting in the ecfc dugout alongside Jack Edwards and Barney Singleton. We had lost at SJP to Bradford on the previous Saturday giving our promotion hopes a knock. This comprehensive and emphatic victory in midweek restored confidence and a draw at Workington three days later, in the final match of the season, ensured our first ever promotion to Division Three ! :)

david61

22/4/1974, Exeter 4 Scunthorpe 0, the one that was played !

Oldsmobile-88

I was there sitting in the ecfc dugout alongside Jack Edwards and Barney Singleton. We had lost at SJP to Bradford on the previous Saturday giving our promotion hopes a knock.
What’s the story of you sitting in the dugout CB ?

Oldsmobile-88

23rd April 1977.

Huddersfield 0 Exeter 1

The Grecians win for the 2nd season running at Leeds Rd, in doing so completing the double over Huddersfield for the 2nd season running.

The teams had not played each other in any competition prior to 1975/76.

Colesman Ballz

What’s the story of you sitting in the dugout CB ?
The previous season, myself and another kid were watching training at SJP in our school holidays. Jack Edwards asked us if we would like to be ball boys. Our duties were to collect the practice balls used pre game, and also any if used at half time. During the game we were stationed in the home dug out, (no subs in those days !), with Jack, Barney and with his bucket of cold water, old football bladder and 'magic' sponge. Whenever balls were kicked out of the stadium, or onto the railway lines we took it in turns to retrieve them. I still have one of my free admission passes, signed by the then Club Secretary, Keith Honey.
It also gave me the chance to obtain one of my most treasured possessions, when Dermot Curtis became the first Exeter City player called up to play in an International, I asked him to bring me back a programme from the Austria v Republic of Ireland game. He duly did, and had signed it too ! Many years later after the Trust had taken control I got to meet him again, have a chat and belatedly buy him a Guiness for his kindness. 🍺