• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City on this day

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
In 1981 FAC 4th round replay v Leicester
❤ It

iscalad

How about that. Magic.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
In 1981 FAC 4th round replay v Leicester
❤ It
The afternoon we drew up at Leicester, I happened to be having a bath. I took this as a good omen, so followed the same routine during each subsequent game in that cup run. Never been so clean since.

Nigel E

A different 4th round tie on this day - away to Liverpool exactly 70 years ago (lost 3-1).

They don't do football specials like this any more, and more's the pity. Get there are 8.30am, and leave at 10.30pm. Mind you, standing on the platform at Cullompton at 1am in January can't have been much fun.

Attachments

Oldsmobile-88

A different 4th round tie on this day - away to Liverpool exactly 70 years ago (lost 3-1).

They don't do football specials like this any more, and more's the pity. Get there are 8.30am, and leave at 10.30pm. Mind you, standing on the platform at Cullompton at 1am in January can't have been much fun.
32/- (£1.60) equates to £55 today.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
20 years ago today we bade the Cowshed farewell with a 2-0 win over Rochdale. IIRC it was the first game where Barry McConnell was moved to right back, a position that became his regular one from there on in.

As someone who always stood on the Big Bank, I'd misread the dates and thought the Rochdale match would coincide with the opening of the new stand, so I headed down for the match only to find when I got there my mistake. Therefore for only the second time I stood in the Cowshed for this match.

The previous time was in 96/97 when massive delays on the M5 from Brizzle meant I missed almost the entire first half against Cambridge - with the turnstiles locked I went to the club office and they got someone to open up a Cowshed turnstile for me. Just as I was walking down SJR a roar went up from the away end - Cambridge had scored what turned out to be the only goal.

Oldsmobile-88

Nice that we gave the old girl a send off with a win.
C4A147F4-64DA-415D-B695-5E159BCD06C0.jpeg

Colesman Ballz

Somewhere I have a similar handbill for a train for Leicester City supporters travelling to SJP for the FA Cup 4th Round match on the 30th January 1937. What amused me was timings. It was scheduled to arrive at St David's just 20 mins before kick off, so after dashing to the ground and negotiating the turnstile queues I wonder how much of the game was missed. The return was similarly tight, and the handbill states that there would be no buffet car facilities, although the train would be stopping at Bristol Temple Meads for 15 minutes where the refreshment rooms would be open. Whether a trainload of 600 or so starving supporters could be all served in fifteen minutes is another question altogether ? Did any get left behind I wonder ?

As a small consolation at least the trains ran on time in those days, but it still must have been a miserable trip for them with the Grecians winning 3-1. (We eventually lost at PNE 5-3 in the 5th Round).

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster

Colesman Ballz

Nice that we gave the old girl a send off with a win.
View attachment 1634
I had totally forgotten the deluxe version of the TV gantry complete with its roof extension (presumably so that you could actually film corners being taken) . It still wouldn't have stopped the ladder being nicked mid game though !