• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City on this day

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
That was day we went to Middlesbrough wasn’t it?
Indeed it was...Got there just in time.Boro were playing Barnsley.

Red Devon

Indeed it was...Got there just in time.Boro were playing Barnsley.

I remember I forgot to tip the driver 😂

Oldsmobile-88

30 years ago.The Grecians drew 2-2 against Sunderland in the League Cup 4th Round.
Still don’t know how we did not win that game 2-0 with less than 10 mins to go.
Still a great night despite the feeling of a great missed opportunity to get to the quarterfinals.
The replay was at Roker Park the following Tuesday.

grecIAN Harris

30 years ago.The Grecians drew 2-2 against Sunderland in the League Cup 4th Round.
Still don’t know how we did not win that game 2-0 with less than 10 mins to go.
Still a great night despite the feeling of a great missed opportunity to get to the quarterfinals.
The replay was at Roker Park the following Tuesday.
Do you remember the back pass from the half way line that beat Tim Carter all ends up only the ball to rebound back off of the post into his arms.

Oldsmobile-88

Do you remember the back pass from the half way line that beat Tim Carter all ends up only the ball to rebound back off of the post into his arms.
Yes...That was a crazy moment:D

Exehausted

I went into the, what is now the Co-oP , possibly a Circle K back then, in Pennsylvania, the morning after the match. There was a hungover Sunderland fan in there who had slept for a few hours in his mates car after a night on the beer. He was very relieved that they had escaped with a draw. He had bigger problems than a hangover though. His boss had refused him time off to come down for the match and he warned him that if he didn't turn up for work he would be sacked. He told his wife and she said if he got the sack she would chuck him out, "because I've had it with you and that football club", but he came down anyway. I've often wondered if he lost his job and his wife!

Oldsmobile-88

Iirc a few Sunderland players went down to that Mecca of Exeter night life in those days,The Quay.
Such a good time was had boozing & dancing the night away,a couple of them were arrested on Quay Hill after a bit of good old vandalism :D

Tim Carter was one of the players nicked,he laughed when he got a bit good natured banter in the replay.

andrew p long

Nowadays that would be an indirect free kick for picking up a back pass..!

Oldsmobile-88

12 years ago Dacre Holloway passed away.

Dacre organised work partys & was very generous with his time at SJP.
He was part of the furniture at the ground.

I met him on one of the work partys that he organised in those dark days of 2003/04.
He got a lot of the ‘nitty gritty’ jobs sorted out &
was well respected by all who came into contact with him on those tasks.

Spoonz Red E

12 years ago Dacre Holloway passed away.

Dacre organised work partys & was very generous with his time at SJP.
He was part of the furniture at the ground.

I met him on one of the work partys that he organised in those dark days of 2003/04.
He got a lot of the ‘nitty gritty’ jobs sorted out &
was well respected by all who came into contact with him on those tasks.
He was a lovely chap.
I took a call from him at the club just before he passed away.
He apologised for being off longer than intended and, typical of him, wanted to make sure that no jobs were being held up due to lack of information he may have forgotten to pass on and that the volunteers group he had set up was being taken care of.

I still think of SJP as 'Dacre's Acres' to this day.