• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Oldham Athletic AFC Match Day Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Law is 32 in March. Many players have a steep drop off in performance at this age.

Law has been a fantastic player and may still be. But at the moment I think his level has dropped badly in the last few games.

Holmes was a shoe in for every game not that long ago, probably our best player. Now he hardly plays. We haven't missed Woodman since he was injured.

So many managers persist with older players longer than they should do as they remember their better performances.

For my money Jay should be starting ahead of Law, in the hole behind Ajose and Bowman.
His form has dipped in literally about 2 or 3 games. Give the guy a break, eh? Holmes has been on a gradual decline since he broke through as a youngster. He's just passing through. Was a star for us when he arrived, then became a solid pick, then a useful option, now very much on the fringes. Law's been consistently great for us. Had a couple of bad games. Its a bit early to write the obituary for his playing career.

Fareham Grecian

Maybe the way forward is a 4g pitch now.
Have you ever considered moving to Arizona?

Fareham Grecian

Couldn’t believe the difference in our play between the two halves! Yes the conditions were awful but so were we first half. From the moment Wheater made that worldy save though, we were comfortable and in the second half we played some great stuff.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
yikes! sea Grecian clearing up after Tom Parkes had dashed for the bog is going over and beyond the call of duty...
Luckily I was 6 000 miles away watching on iFollow!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
In the first half Oldham bossed our midfield. We didn't pick up any of the second balls, and had the sending off and the resulting penalty not occurred, we would have had to play better to get the three points. I would argue that was one of our worst first half performances, particularly in the midfield.

Thankfully, as MT stated, the second half the lads where professional, and showed that little bit of quality needed playing against 10 men.

On a side note, Keeper definitely should have saved archies goal.
Yes, we were poor for much of the first half but even without the handball we'd have still gone in 2-1 up and I'd have backed us to go on and win from there, even against 11 men. What was crucial was Matt Jay scoring the penalty as it would have been demoralising to go into half-time at 1-1.

Even Matt Taylor admitted the keeper should have saved the Archie shot but arguably he should have done better with all the goals he conceded.

Larry Wilkie

He should have taken a dump on the pitch like Lineker did!
He was seriously outpaced just before going off. I suspect the run to the loo was quicker than when he was chasing the winger!!

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
While it's true Law has been excellent for us and likely he will benefit from a break, Matt Jay has been absolutely superb last couple of games and now, in my opinion, starts before Law. He now will have to win his place back again, just as Jay had to win his and then take the chance. I rate Jay as more of a threat around the edge of the box than Law.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
While it's true Law has been excellent for us and likely he will benefit from a break, Matt Jay has been absolutely superb last couple of games and now, in my opinion, starts before Law. He now will have to win his place back again, just as Jay had to win his and then take the chance. I rate Jay as more of a threat around the edge of the box than Law.
This is what some people don't get. Some get all hot and bothered if a poster suggests a player should be "rested", but they are doing a disservice to the player waiting in the wings who also deserves a chance.
Nobody should be nailed on if he is not in form or if another player is ready to replace him
Law is a very good player, but if MJ replaces him and does well he shouldn"t be dropped until he himself loses form.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He was seriously outpaced just before going off. I suspect the run to the loo was quicker than when he was chasing the winger!!
I guess he was worried about following through if he made a tackle!