• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Cheltenham Town FC Match Day Thread

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Difference in the sides was Nlundula (on loan from Southampton), powerful running, persistence, strength and a good strike.
Just the kind of loanee forward we needed !

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
You can bet that Stubbs, after playing those 60 minutes, will be out for the next three games.
3 weeks not 3 games

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
One to forget.
Cheltenham were awful, and the ref let it happen for far too long.
Distribution from either side of Stubbs never got going - sparkes and key couldn't beat the double up, although caprice did. Collins and kite looked tidy, but the ball never stuck.
Jay and Nombe fed of bits really. I wonder if Jay could have dropped back 15 or so and buzzed about between the lines.....and fed a bit more ....

Long time since last post, season ticket holder - onwards again
I was thinking exactly the same thing during the game regarding your point on Jay. If he'd dropped off and supported the midfield more, who were clearly struggling for creativity today, Nombe may have had more service. Instead he buzzed around upfront but had little influence.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Difference in the sides was Nlundula (on loan from Southampton), powerful running, persistence, strength and a good strike.
Disagree, he put himself about a bit but was largely ineffective. The whole Cheltenham team, bar their centre halves, were very poor. Liam Sercombe was totally anonymous, he didn't even break swet. I think Cheltenham will go down and after watching their antics I truly hope they do.

Red faced

I disagree I think they do understand and aren't prepared to give the manager money we don't have, quite rightly so in my opinion. I think Taylor needs to understand that he has a budget and has to work within that
Then we will be consigned to League two for the vast bulk of our future, with very rare & very brief stints in League one. Whilst I dont 100% disagree with you, it does paint a realistic and gloomy picture

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
From reading the post match reports, it looks unlikely we‘ll be getting anyone else in before Tuesday‘s game.

I found it slightly strange that Kegs didn’t start against Cheltenham in the cup. It was inevitable that injuries or squad rotation would come into it whilst we start the season with the Tuesday Saturday, Tuesday Saturday matches. The only thing I can think Taylor had in mind is that we would have got some more bodies in before this run of matches.
I think that by now Matt would not/ should not assume anything.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is a sliding scale for teams trying to protect what they have. Slowing the game down, game management, active time wasting and finally taking the ****. It is up to the referee that the game stays as low down that scale as possible. Especially given the refs had an actual directive before the season to speed the restarts up and have the ball in play for longer over the 90 minutes. This experienced referee failed miserably in doing that and allowed the **** to be taken out of him. Yes you can call Cheltenham all you want and particularly in Southwood's case, many did. The ultimate responsibility is the referee and his performance today was pisspoor in just about every department.
What was frustrating was that he quite often got the original decision right but then failed to clamp down on the associated sh!thousing. For example, he waved play on when one Cheltenham player claimed to have been fouled by Kegs but then failed to book him for going to ground not once but twice in an attempt to win the free kick; he also should have booked Ben Williams for getting involved. Another example: he correctly booked the Cheltenham full back for fouling Jack Sparkes but then failed to book him again for kicking the ball away.

tom_ecfc

What was frustrating was that he quite often got the original decision right but then failed to clamp down on the associated sh!thousing. For example, he waved play on when one Cheltenham player claimed to have been fouled by Kegs but then failed to book him for going to ground not once but twice in an attempt to win the free kick; he also should have booked Ben Williams for getting involved. Another example: he correctly booked the Cheltenham full back for fouling Jack Sparkes but then failed to book him again for kicking the ball away.
I’m not sure of the rules around double bookings, but if two separate incidents, as you mentioned, should be 2 yellow cards. We rarely see that unless it is a foul and then foul and abusive language. The refs need to clamp down and start dishing out 2 yellows in the example given, to try and clamp down on this type of behaviour creeping into the game. I know its a hard job to be a ref, but the powers above are very quiet and transparency to the fans/wider footballing community needs to happen, not just in house to the clubs, this will make the fans understand the decision that are being made by the refs.

BigBankAl

Tough to take yesterday. First half when we had the ball on the deck looked class, and if we’d converted the two half chance in the first 5 mins may have been a different game.
Cheltenham then putting 9 behind the ball in the second half and playing for time from 60mins (two bob that), I think made it difficult for the lads. Frustrated we sometimes look to offload the ball as opposed to keep driving into the box (Kegs being an example of this later in the game) - a sign we maybe miss someone with a bit of trickery and creativity? I also couldn’t work out why we seemed to be lumping the ball forward second half when we play best with the ball on the deck, and as above knew they had 8/9 sitting there.
Not the end of the world, but I think we need to work out a plan B for unlocking these two bob teams (especially at home), as we’ll probably play our best stuff against better opponents (like Wycombe Tuesday).

BigBankAl

Oh yeah f*ck the ref. Could tell from his pic in the programme he was going to be a little “look at me mummy” rat