• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Bradford City FC matchday thread

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wouldn’t wanna mess up what we have. Collins and Taylor are doing just fine for me.
I get that, but was responding to Rosencrantz's post #405. There are always dilemmas of who to play and in what formation. Our goals scored number is great, but goals against (33 in 27 games) is not, which is why we are only in the playoff positions.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not having a good holding midfielder whose job is protecting the defence and cutting these plays out has been our Achilles heel for years and years and years. Jordan Tillson is the nearest we have had but Matt Taylor obviously didn't rate him and has not really replaced him. I had hoped Atangana was going to be that guy but he has been disappointing recently. Neither Jake T nor Collins are by instinct disciplined in that way, both want to play further forward.

Not sure what the solution is. Maybe try something different? If Stubbs gets fit and plays regularly Sweeney might be tried there - he reads the game and can pass.
Will Dean?

Ian Tarr

Will Dean?
Who seems to have fallen down the pecking order somewhat......

manc grecian

Kite....

Albumen

I get that, but was responding to Rosencrantz's post #405. There are always dilemmas of who to play and in what formation. Our goals scored number is great, but goals against (33 in 27 games) is not, which is why we are only in the playoff positions.
Aye. But fix the core of the problem first. Get a decent centre half pairing who have faith in their keeper. I reckon that will be Stubbs Parkes and Andresson.
Worry about tinkering with a dynamic midfield. I think the negative impact it would have on our attacking game would outweigh the potential positives it may have on our defensive play.

Grecian Max

I wouldn’t wanna mess up what we have. Collins and Taylor are doing just fine for me.
They're both individually doing fine, but if we want autos we have to stop shipping so many goals, it will come back to bite us. My mate mentioned the idea of playing Hartridge in DM and I wouldn't be opposed, he actually has a great passing range. Won't happen though, we will continue to be leaky.

Here's a good example, Bradford's first goal. Jake hammers it against a player from 25 yards and it rebounds into mountains of space. Where's Archie? In the box. It's an extreme example but our lumbering CBs who are fine in themselves are often over exposed. You'd presume Stubbs will be more mobile, but I'm still unconvinced by this MT tactic.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
They're both individually doing fine, but if we want autos we have to stop shipping so many goals, it will come back to bite us. My mate mentioned the idea of playing Hartridge in DM and I wouldn't be opposed, he actually has a great passing range. Won't happen though, we will continue to be leaky.

Here's a good example, Bradford's first goal. Jake hammers it against a player from 25 yards and it rebounds into mountains of space. Where's Archie? In the box. It's an extreme example but our lumbering CBs who are fine in themselves are often over exposed. You'd presume Stubbs will be more mobile, but I'm still unconvinced by this MT tactic.

View attachment 5372
View attachment 5373
It will aiways be a balance - we just need to score more than they do !
Affram City !

STURTZ

Always liked James Dunne in that DM position, loved Dunney me.

Rosencrantz

Striking the right balance can always be a bit tricky. Ideally you would have either Taylor or Collins alongside a holding midfielder or at least the two of them can sort it out between them that if one of them gets ahead of the ball, the other really mustn't as happened yesterday although it's bound to happen on occasion.

Will Dean is probably our best bet on our books currently as a holding midfielder although Kite can do it as well.

Albumen

View attachment 5372
View attachment 5373
Completely get it. It’s all about balance. And interesting shout on Hartridge. But like I said in my previous post. I’d like to see us tighten the defence first. I think we can challenge with Archie and Taylor in midfield.