• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Conference Call

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
An excellent re-discovery Pete. So many thanks for sharing!!!!

Can you believe that, since those dark days we've drawn at Old Trafford, won at Wembley, won promotion to the third tier for only the fourth time in our history, beaten Leeds, both the Sheffields etc, taken the 'pool to a replay....oh, and ALSO, done the MAHOOSIVE Argiggles on several occasions :D.

Oh, and a small hidden irony there re "Premier League Portsmouth" - Teddy and all. Pray remind me, but haven't we a not too shabby record against them in recent years in LEAGUE TWO? (Moral of the story: "Don't wish for what you can't afford"...although don't tell the Piglet - I'm quietly confident that he'll still try to urge his club again toward the "Eve of Destruction"

Last edited:

DanceMagnet

I noted the reference to Annie Bassett as commercial manager and came across this comment from Ian Branfoot from his time as manager of Reading...

"I had a relationship with the commercial side, Mike Lewis and Annie Bassett, who were both very, very inventive, and that's why when I eventually became the general manager here I brought them both in to do the commercial side of the business."

I'm not sure how she became connected with Exeter City, but it does seem quite a strange choice given the association with Mike Lewis and the recent experience of the club at that time with Russell and Lewis.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

On the other hand, she did seem to "seal the Fly-Be deal", which (remarkably despite our respective troubles over the years) still endures? For that alone, surely credit is due.

PS: I do wonder is our shirt sponsorship deal is currently the longest in the League? Could anyone confirm (or deny)?

DanceMagnet

On the other hand, she did seem to "seal the Fly-Be deal", which (remarkably despite our respective troubles over the years) still endures? For that alone, surely credit is due.

PS: I do wonder is our shirt sponsorship deal is currently the longest in the League? Could anyone confirm (or deny)?
Yes, I only looked her up because I didn't recognise the name. There is nothing to my knowledge to suggest she did a bad job. As you rightly suggest, the FlyBe deal has been a fantastic partnership for the club over many years, so credit to her if she was the mainstay behind setting that up.

Colesman Ballz

I noted the reference to Annie Bassett as commercial manager and came across this comment from Ian Branfoot from his time as manager of Reading...

"I had a relationship with the commercial side, Mike Lewis and Annie Bassett, who were both very, very inventive, and that's why when I eventually became the general manager here I brought them both in to do the commercial side of the business."

I'm not sure how she became connected with Exeter City, but it does seem quite a strange choice given the association with Mike Lewis and the recent experience of the club at that time with Russell and Lewis.
She had already been appointed by Russell and Lewis, before their arrest and departure.

Colesman Ballz

Yes, I only looked her up because I didn't recognise the name. There is nothing to my knowledge to suggest she did a bad job. As you rightly suggest, the FlyBe deal has been a fantastic partnership for the club over many years, so credit to her if she was the mainstay behind setting that up.
Flybe had already been brought on board by a Trust Member, Annie Bassett simply sorted out the detail and contracts.

DanceMagnet

OK, thanks, explains a lot.

Colesman Ballz

To be fair, she found herself in a strange position, having been offered and accepting the job, then before your start date, those appointing you being arrested, and the club in turmoil with the new Trust regime desperately "firefighting" and struggling to find it's feet. In the few dealings I had with her, I found her thoroughly professional, albeit a trifle "haughty". Within a few months I believe she tendered her resignation for "personal reasons" and departed.

David Treharne

Flybe had already been brought on board by a Trust Member, Annie Bassett simply sorted out the detail and contracts.
Is the correct answer! Retrospection brings lots of re-evaluations, but not over that issue. Good to see Barry Sansom featuring, he did an enormous amount of work, especially during that 2003-2004 pre-season. It's a sobering thought that for most of our under 25 year old supporters what they are talking about in that programme is something that they have no recollection of (and probably no real interest in). It's a problem for the Trust to explain just how desperate the situation was before the Trust takeover. We may still have issues that need to be resolved, but at least many of them are being talked about in an open way. A complete contrast to R&L talking about Exeweb subverting what they were trying to achieve at the Club.

Mark Tyler

Would there be interest in screening the programme at the club as a fund raiser for the youth (as a further tribute to Eamonn) Guests on the night to reflect on what happened then and how far the club had come since
Just an idea !