• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City’s highest ever league position - 1933

Red Bill

Whilst I accept the force of the points made in the OP and by MW , I think there is still a role for the record of our highest finish in a *national* third tier.
This is not the rewriting of history in the way the Premier League has done, but a genuine and important difference since we were in Third Division South. To compare the two you have to make assumptions about comparisons (and use phrases like 'it could be argued')

So I'll be very happy to celebrate at the end of this season a very strong finish compared to our best finishes in the national third tier. That doesn't mean - contrary to the way the first sentence of the OP is phrased - that I or others are ignorant about the past or our record.
I agree with a lot of this. The second place finish has been highlighted numerous times on multiple threads, so I think a lot more people are aware of this than the OP might suggest.
The change to a 4 tier system meant more competition to reach the top of tier 3 so I don't think the 2 set ups are directly comparable. We shouldn't IMO be comparing this to the Premier League attitude either as the introduction of a 4th tier actually made a structural difference, whereas the establishment of the Premier league only meant a new name for the top division and a pathway for it to get it's hands on more filthy lucre!

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do you think the standard of Division Three South and Division Three North would have been similar in 1933? Obviously, it's also pure conjecture on my part but I'd imagine that South was the weaker of the two?

JJ red&white

1680177593369.png

Something I had put together. For the years where there were North/South divisions, if we were 10th I have assumed we would therefore have 9 teams above us in both North & South, to give us a final pyramid position.

JW57++

Do you think the standard of Division Three South and Division Three North would have been similar in 1933? Obviously, it's also pure conjecture on my part but I'd imagine that South was the weaker of the two?
The original structure of the leagues before 1920 was very much centred on the North and Midlands and so the newly elected southern teams could well have been stronger. Most non-league team that have progressed into the league structure since then have been southern based.

SDRighton

When we finished a point off the play offs in 2010/11, we had.... 52 points from 38 games. That said, 6th place was on 61 points then compared to 64 points now.

As I recall from that season too, there was never actually any realistic chance of us making the play offs. We just won a load at the business/on-the-beach end to make it look close.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thank god Tistwat isn't the best manager ever then

andrew p long

Thanks for pointing that out. I need to swot up on Exeweb forums more throughly.
You certainly do before you post 'there seems to be a belief on these boards that... '

You wouldn't need to swot up on Exeweb forums if you responded to or quoted a particular post. Or said 'some people appear to believe...'.

Grecian Max

You certainly do before you post 'there seems to be a belief on these boards that... '

You wouldn't need to swot up on Exeweb forums if you responded to or quoted a particular post. Or said 'some people appear to believe...'.
FFS this place 😅 Worse than the House of Commons

Boyo

Thank god Tistwat isn't the best manager ever then
Whatever your view, the Club was in a completely different state (for the positive) both on and off the pitch when he left, compared to when he joined.

1680182398285.png

Ian Tarr

As one who was around for the last few years of Division Three South and North, I do recall that it was commonly assumed that the Southern division was the stronger of the two.
Admittedly that's only the last few years of the competition, but it's also interesting to note where clubs from the final season of that split regime are now.
(For the purposes of the argument I am assuming that phoenix clubs relate to the original ones.)
Three South 1957/58:
Brighton, Crystal Palace, Brentford, Southampton and Bournemouth are in the Premier League;
Watford, Norwich, Millwall, QPR, Coventry nd Reading are in the Championship;
Plymouth, Shrewsbury, Exeter and Port Vale are in League One;
Gillingham, Northampton, Swindon, Newport, Colchester and Walsall are in League Two;
only Torquay, Southend and Aldershot are non-league (currently in the top tier).
Three North 1957/58:
Hull are in the Championship;
Accrington are in League One;
Crewe, Mansfield, Tranmere, Bradford C, Hartlepool, Rochdale, Carlisle, Barrow and Stockport are in League Two;
The other thirteen are non-league:
6 in the National League, 4 in National League North, and 3 others below even that level.