• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exercise.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
How much physical exercise do fellow posters do in a normal week ?

Age & physical wellbeing can scupper any of us no matter how keen we are to keep fit.

I have just turned 60(ffs) Games of 5 a side are long gone I’m afraid.
My knees are knackered unfortunately 🙁 Luckily that does not stop me cycling or walking at a good pace,though I doubt I could keep up with Red Devon or GJW on their top notch bikes(plus I get off & push on hills😁)
I walk 8 miles plus every day & cycle(weather permitting)about 20 miles once a week.It keeps me reasonably fit & the lbs in check.

I’m not one for the gym.About 38 years since I was a regular in one of those(John Hore’s in the High St)

manc grecian

Cricket and football twice a week in normal times and lots of steps during the day at work.

If I could stop eating I'd be ok

Alistair20000

Age & physical wellbeing can scupper any of us no matter how keen we are to keep fit.

My knees are knackered unfortunately 🙁 Luckily that does not stop me cycling or walking at a good pace,though I doubt I could keep up with Red Devon or GJW on their top notch bikes(plus I get off & push on hills😁)
I walk 8 miles plus every day & cycle(weather permitting)about 20 miles once a week.It keeps me reasonably fit & the lbs in check.

I’m not one for the gym.About 38 years since I was a regular in one of those(John Hore’s in the High St)
An electric bike made it easy for this particular unfit fecker when going around the vineyards in the Chinon area in France a couple of years ago.

iscalad

Too decrepit to exercise, sadly.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We're refurbishing the house, and the wife has created a gym in one of the spare rooms (complete with a wall mirror!), so feel that using some of the equipment on a regular basis would be a good idea. Though I haven't quite worked out how to watch the weights instructional video on my phone and doing the actual exercises!

elginCity

My knees are knackered unfortunately 🙁 Luckily that does not stop me cycling or walking at a good pace,though
Olds, you tried walking football ? (No sniggering at the back, please !) Play twice a week, surprisingly good exercise where walking at a good (and sometimes unlawful) pace is standard fare, and great fun. The thrill of putting the ball in the back of the net again, 30 years after hanging up the boots first time around is quite something, though admittedly a rare occurence !! :)

Try and walk briskly for circa 5-6 miles daily, keeps a lid on the old blood pump pressure, I find. Only an occasional cyclist, nowadays. Not so sure either about returning to badminton, post-mockdowns, worsening arthritic knees don't much like the twisting and turning !

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cricket and football twice a week in normal times and lots of steps during the day at work.

If I could stop eating I'd be ok
Is village cricket exercise ?? :D

Time involved in local cricket generally involves a net gain in calories !!

Oldsmobile-88

Olds, you tried walking football ? (No sniggering at the back, please !) Play twice a week, surprisingly good exercise where walking at a good (and sometimes unlawful) pace is standard fare, and great fun. The thrill of putting the ball in the back of the net again, 30 years after hanging up the boots first time around is quite something, though admittedly a rare occurence !! :)

Try and walk briskly for circa 5-6 miles daily, keeps a lid on the old blood pump pressure, I find. Only an occasional cyclist, nowadays. Not so sure either about returning to badminton, post-mockdowns, worsening arthritic knees don't much like the twisting and turning !
Not tried walking football...I might give that a try.Sounds good & no one is going to have a coronary !

elginCity

Not tried walking football...I might give that a try.Sounds good & no one is going to have a coronary !
Erm, well sadly we do. A team mate dropped to his knees coming off the pitch during a Bristol tournament, thought he was larking about at first, unfortunately had to hang his boots up for good three weeks later. Such is life, and death, at this stage of the game. Don't let it put you off though, it's as rare an occurrence as my goals !

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
What is exercise ?