• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Every cloud...

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just read the news that Cath Kidston are closing all their shops.

It occurs to me that when all this is over – and I fully appreciate that's some way off just yet – there are going to be lots of empty units in Princesshay. Indeed, there are likely to be so many empty units, I wondered if, at least in the short-term, the landlords might contemplate letting the football club have one rent free, if only to fill a space.

We could [potentially] staff it volunteers and use it to sell merchandise, tickets, and promote the Supporters Trust and Exeter City Community Trust. Everyone's a winner!

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just read the news that Cath Kidston are closing all their shops.

It occurs to me that when all this is over – and I fully appreciate that's some way off just yet – there are going to be lots of empty units in Princesshay. Indeed, there are likely to be so many empty units, I wondered if, at least in the short-term, the landlords might contemplate letting the football club have one rent free, if only to fill a space.

We could [potentially] staff it volunteers and use it to sell merchandise, tickets, and promote the Supporters Trust and Exeter City Community Trust. Everyone's a winner!
Deja vu Egg ? Harking back to 2003 ?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Deja vu Egg ? Harking back to 2003 ?
I knew you'd be amongst the first to respond on this thread! In any case, tell me, do you think this might have some legs?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I knew you'd be amongst the first to respond on this thread! In any case, tell me, do you think this might have some legs?
I would be happy to help out again if needed. I am not holding my breath on a freebie from Princesshay though.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would be happy to help out again if needed. I am not holding my breath on a freebie from Princesshay though.
In normal circumstances, I'd concur. However, these are extraordinary times and, given there are going to be an awful lot of empty units in Princesshay, I can't help wondering if they might be glad to see a high-profile Exeter-based organisation fill a void [at least in the short-term].

Alistair20000

In normal circumstances, I'd concur. However, these are extraordinary times and, given there are going to be an awful lot of empty units in Princesshay, I can't help wondering if they might be glad to see a high-profile Exeter-based organisation fill a void [at least in the short-term].
This could have some mileage Egg.

Sometimes a landlord will accept a tenant rent free if the tenant pays the business rates as empty retail premises attract full business rates after 3 months. I think there are ways of the tenant getting a business rates exemption for a short period too in which case it is win win. Not my area of expertise but maybe worth investigating. There are companies who offer "business rates mitigation strategies" that the landlord usually pays for on a % cut of the savings.

COVID-19 concessions on business rates at present of course.

Oldsmobile-88

Good shout..Though as Martin said,I would be amazed if Princesshay played ball(no pun intended 😁)

Colesman Ballz

I think that it may have potential, but somewhat limited. Circumstances are very different today from back then. The first problem is cost. In some ways getting hold of a unit is the easy bit. A lot of official dom turned blind eyes to us, for example the only Bill's we paid were for water and electricity. We did investigate trying to continue elsewhere but costs didn't stack up. The club is far more together now , and so much is now done, for example the online ticketing.
I think something like a pop up Xmas shop could work for short period, but in the longer term it would represent putting in a lot of resources with little return. I will PM you with my phone no , so you can call me to discuss the whole nine yards.