• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Euro 2021

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well, can't see any fans being allowed at the Euros in a million years now.
That’s an exaggeration. The virus will be under control soon so the next Euros will be fine.

Legohead

Banned
Thought the Euros was this summer? If so then with travel quarantine laws and fees and Covid etc. No chance there will be any fans at the games.

Legohead

Banned
Anyone still think there will be fans at the euros? Can't see it myself. Just a few months away now and parts of Europe still under intense covid pressure.

Boyo

Anyone still think there will be fans at the euros? Can't see it myself. Just a few months away now and parts of Europe still under intense covid pressure.
In the UK home fans will be allowed. But it's unlikely that away fans will be allowed into the UK. England vs Scotland could be interesting. How they manage it on mainland Europe is also unclear. Much more difficult to restrict travel across EU borders.

Red Devon

The England squad

England's 26-man squad in full
Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Man Utd), Sam Johnstone (West Brom), Jordan Pickford (Everton)
Defenders: John Stones (Man City), Luke Shaw (Man Utd), Harry Maguire (Man Utd), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Kyle Walker (Man City), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Reece James (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid)
Midfielders: Mason Mount (Chelsea), Declan Rice (West Ham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds)
Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Raheem Sterling (Man City), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Phil Foden (Man City), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal)

IndoMike

Apparently Maguire will not be available for the Group games, so in my opinion should not have been selected. No matter what he says, Southgate has blundered by picking 4 right backs. Ok , Walker could play at RCB, but he's not very good there. Reece James is the best defensive RB so it should have been him if strong defense was needed and Trent if an attacking back is needed.That's enough : no Trippier, or Trippier/Trent.
I like Sterling but he's out of form : Foden is enough. Calvin Lewis is not international standard. If Kane gets injured we're farked.
Also I think it's awful the way Vardy has been treated I'm not surprised he retired from England. He's a goalscorer, fast and dangerous. Another example of Southgate's limited outlook.
We have the players to do well, but I doubt if Southgate will get the best out of them.

tonykellowfan

Walker played at RCB during the last world cup so we did ok then. I tend to agree though that taking 4 RBs is a bit weird. I would have left Trippier behind. Although if TAA is now injured that will sort itself out.

Agree about Sterling his form is terrible and I hope he is not in the starting XI. As regards Calvert-Lewin a bit harsh to judge him already, he's only 24 and has hardly played for England. Vardy btw is 34 and retired to protect his club career.

PeteUSA

I'm really pleased that Sam Johnstone from West Brom has been selected. A very capable young keeper, who is far too good to drop out of the Premier League. He kept the score down in many a game. I have absolutely no time for Pickford, who IMHO is not international quality. Not only that, the gutless way he seriously injured that Liverpool player and put him out for months is testament to the fact that he isnt anywhere near the finished product. And Henderson isnt as good as he thinks he is!

DB9

He isn't good enough to play in our first XI so we can't pick a player simply because they are good dead ball player.
They did with Beckham, He was good at dead ball situations but overrated in other areas, He played because of his "Brand" God I hope we don't ever go back to that and use the term so called "Golden Generation"

IndoMike

They did with Beckham, He was good at dead ball situations but overrated in other areas, He played because of his "Brand" God I hope we don't ever go back to that and use the term so called "Golden Generation"
Beckham could put in pin.point crosses and long balls, DB. He didn't play because of his ",brand" at all. He was disliked by many bit there was no doubting his quality. I think SAF, Madrid and others know best