• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thankfully Ollie Watkins was wise and went to Brentford. Maybe Ethan should have chosen a different route but the money will have been good with Chelsea
Chelsea weren't in for Ollie IIRC. It was Derby that offered a bigger fee.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seems to me the way Chelsea have shopped Ethan around clubs since he signed for them they look quite happy to let his contract run down and let him go on a free, I maybe wrong (And probably are) but his name never seems to get mentioned by those inside the Stamford Bridge walls, To me it sounds like the new owner is very similar to Abromvich in his early days, Just spend on a load of expensive overseas players and the young British lads, Send them off on loan then get rid.
As Ethan has 18 months left on his contract, and will still be 23 when it expires,Chelsea would still be entitled to a Tribunal determined fee if they offer him a new contract

DB9

As Ethan has 18 months left on his contract, and will still be 23 when it expires,Chelsea would still be entitled to a Tribunal determined fee if they offer him a new contract
OK, Will their tribunal fee be a pittance?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
As Ethan has 18 months left on his contract, and will still be 23 when it expires, Chelsea would still be entitled to a Tribunal determined fee if they offer him a new contract
Only if it's on the same or better terms as his existing one?

Grecianman135

Ethan would do well at say a Brentford not necessarily following in Ollie's footsteps as such just the way they play I feel would suit him and he'd get game time for sure 👍

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really? Do you honestly think that Chelsea care about that? They have thrown £m's down the drain, Just look at the new owners, £660m he's spent since the summer, They've had gord knows how many managers since Ethan joined them, TBH i doubt if Potter knows where all his loan players are! Also it was on Abramovich's watch when Ethan signed for them, This new chap in charge probably doesn't even think about Ethan, Let alone ECFC.
They won't be thinking about ECFC but they will be thinking about their own business model. This is Chelsea we're talking about, one of Europe's elite clubs. There's no way they'll lose the opportunity of getting around 20m quid just because the owner is a billionaire. All good business people look at making money as well as spending and they also have financial fair play rules to follow. 20m is not to be sniffed at.

Alistair20000

Chelsea weren't in for Ollie IIRC. It was Derby that offered a bigger fee.
That was not my point but I did not make it clear enough.

I meant to say Ollie made a choice that has advanced his career rather more than Ethan…….so far.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
They won't be thinking about ECFC but they will be thinking about their own business model. This is Chelsea we're talking about, one of Europe's elite clubs. There's no way they'll lose the opportunity of getting around 20m quid just because the owner is a billionaire. All good business people look at making money as well as spending and they also have financial fair play rules to follow. 20m is not to be sniffed at.
Exactly. The whole purpose of their academy is not to develop players for the first team but to sell players for a profit which then enables them to make ludicrously big signings without breaking FFP rules. It's why Chelsea are able to spend so much more than, for example, Man Utd, who don't sell so many players in the same way.

Cowshed Grecian

I’m no fan of Chelsea or their modus operandi but I don’t think they’ve thrown the entire £660M down the drain. After what I think were some expensive mistakes in the summer their January purchases appear to be different to me in that they were younger players with potential for resale at some point at maybe even a higher value.
I realize they don’t necessarily care much about Ethan’s future and I’m sure even less about ours, but unlike you by the sound of it, I’d be surprised if they couldn’t even be bothered to recoup around £20M by selling him before his contract ends.
They may even remember to sign the paperwork this time.
Sorry Bridgy but the hell would pay £20m for Ethan? He will most probably run his contract down and join a poor Serie A side for free.

andrew p long

Only if it's on the same or better terms as his existing one?
Yes, that's my understanding , but I don't know what constitutes 'same or better' terms. Money,obviously, but Ive always assumed - without knowing - that it doesn't mean of the same (5 year!) duration.