• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yeah it’s nothing personal. I was hoping he would make it big. However let’s be honest he was a whizz kid who hasn’t developed into what we thought he would. A lot of kids who are highly rated at 15/16 don’t. Let’s not pretend he is an elite player because he really isn’t, in fact I’ve watched him a lot and always been hugely disappointed with him. He will have a good career for Wales as an average defender.
There's some truth in that. When he was 16 he was a big, strong kid and could look dominant. But gradually the others have physically caught up with him. Then there's the question of what position is best for him. He doesn't have a great deal of skill on the ball, so I don't see him as a playmaker.
I guess it must be centre back (in a back 3) or defensive midfielder.
Imo his level would be something like a biggish Ch'ship club like Sunderland or a lowish PL club.
No top club in England or Europe has shown interest in him except Chelsea, where as we know he has made little headway. Some top managers at Chelsea have praised him and spoken about his potential, but they never pick him.
But there's no problem about that. Two years on an excellent salary in Italy? Yes, please .

Pobbop

He's still only 21. How many defenders reach their peak at 21? Alex Hartridge, for example, was only starting to become a regular for City at the same age.
Yeah, I am not getting into this argument too much again with Cowshed Grecian, who seems a tad obsessed, but Defenders mature late in general, so to write him off as an average defender now is just silly.

Personally I think It's silly based on his performances already, but I guess that's subjective.

Rosencrantz

There's some truth in that. When he was 16 he was a big, strong kid and could look dominant. But gradually the others have physically caught up with him. Then there's the question of what position is best for him. He doesn't have a great deal of skill on the ball, so I don't see him as a playmaker.
I guess it must be centre back (in a back 3) or defensive midfielder.
Imo his level would be something like a biggish Ch'ship club like Sunderland or a lowish PL club.
No top club in England or Europe has shown interest in him except Chelsea, where as we know he has made little headway. Some top managers at Chelsea have praised him and spoken about his potential, but they never pick him.
But there's no problem about that. Two years on an excellent salary in Italy? Yes, please .
Ethan wasn't a big, strong kid at 15/16. He was just average size for that age. If anything he was pretty skinny. There have been plenty of kids bigger and more physical at that age come through at City let alone other clubs. He looked dominant because he was better than others and showed that at first team level as well. What signalled Ethan out was his understanding of the game, positioning and fearlessness. I still think Ethan's best position is a holding midfielder even though he can play centre back well. The sooner he signs for someone longer than a season loan who gives him games and he can settle into a side, which he has for Wales, the better he will be.

IndoMike

Ethan wasn't a big, strong kid at 15/16. He was just average size for that age. If anything he was pretty skinny. There have been plenty of kids bigger and more physical at that age come through at City let alone other clubs. He looked dominant because he was better than others and showed that at first team level as well. What signalled Ethan out was his understanding of the game, positioning and fearlessness. I still think Ethan's best position is a holding midfielder even though he can play centre back well. The sooner he signs for someone longer than a season loan who gives him games and he can settle into a side, which he has for Wales, the better he will be.

He was a big lad for his age and strong in the tackle. Most young kids are fearless, and he was, too.

He played around 25 games for Sheff Utd, 25 games for Wales, and 25 games for Venezia . As I said in my post, his experience at elite level will increase his value.

If I'm not mistaken, he's 23 in September. After a season at Spezie he will be 24 : no longer a spring chicken. But so far only struggling clubs have shown interest in him and Chelsea won't play him. There is no shame in not playing for a top club - he won't - and he will look back on a very good career.
But let's not allow our emotions, hopes and ambitions for him mask the fact that he has not yet made the breakthrough we hoped for and at the moment he is suited to a club in the lower reaches of the PL (which is fine) or a good Ch'ship side
Only time will tell.. at the moment of course it's just about opinions.
I do agree that defensive midfielder is probably his best position. Although he could play in a back 3.

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He was a big lad for his age and strong in the tackle. Most young kids are fearless, and he was, too.

He played around 25 games for Sheff Utd, 25 games for Wales, and 25 games for Venezia . As I said in my post, his experience at elite level will increase his value.

If I'm not mistaken, he's 23 in September. After a season at Spezie he will be 24 : no longer a spring chicken. But so far only struggling clubs have shown interest in him and Chelsea won't play him. There is no shame in not playing for a top club - he won't - and he will look back on a very good career.
But let's not allow our emotions, hopes and ambitions for him mask the fact that he has not yet made the breakthrough we hoped for and at the moment he is suited to a club in the lower reaches of the PL (which is fine) or a good Ch'ship side
I do agree that defensive midfielder is probably his best position. Although he could play in a back 3.
He will be 22 in September.

Colesman Ballz

You are mistaken and talking ********. He will be 22 on the 14th Sept, and already has 36 full caps for Wales. Have you ever watched him playing live in "the flesh" ? It seems highly doubtful. So why not keep your crass opinions to yourself instead of showing off your ignorance ?

IndoMike

You are mistaken and talking ********. He will be 22 on the 14th Sept, and already has 36 full caps for Wales. Have you ever watched him playing live in "the flesh" ? It seems highly doubtful. So why not keep your crass opinions to yourself instead of showing off your ignorance ?
Firstly my opinions are not crass. They're just opinions
Secondly there's not much point in having a website which clearly is about expressing opinions if some jerk comes in telling you you can't
Thirdly, I have said nothing at all offensive about Ethan
Fourthly, since he only played around 8 first team games for City, your judgment is limited I have also watched him in televised games, as you have
Fifthly, you do not get to tell me what my opinions should be. Clear?
Finally, your extreme overreaction to what imo is a reasonable but of course debatable opinion says more about you than it does me.

IndoMike

He will be 22 in September.
Yes, my error.

grecIAN Harris

Yes, my error.
Along with your first paragraph in response to Rosie, Amps was a skinny fifteen year old kid with us.
As for how successful a career he will have depends, as I've suggested earlier in this thread, on how quick he leaves Chelsea permanently. The longer they hold his signature, the longer it will continue to stall and the less chance he will have to fulfill his potential.

IndoMike

Along with your first paragraph in response to Rosie, Amps was a skinny fifteen year old kid with us.
As for how successful a career he will have depends, as I've suggested earlier in this thread, on how quick he leaves Chelsea permanently. The longer they hold his signature, the longer it will continue to stall and the less chance he will have to fulfill his potential.
Yes. That's a big question. Do they intend to play him regularly in their first team after he gets more experience ? Or If things continue as they are do they want/expect him to sign a new contract when the time comes and keep loaning him out? And we don't know if Amps is quite happy to be passed around from post to pillar or not. You'd think not, but who knows