• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Strange how you can watch the same thing as others and come to completely different conclusions. Admittedly I've watched it back about 5/6 times on Youtube now, I guess it does look more of a dive in the first instance.
But for me he clearly makes contact on the slow mo, kicks the heel on bottom side of Ampadu's boot. Just look how McClean's boot reacts in the challenge and sends him toppling over himself. It sends Ampadu flying more than he already was, and looking at the impact he makes when he hits the ground, no wonder he stays down. Didn't feel there was too much rolling around after the initial force takes him over either.
I agree, I’ve just watched the incident and he definitely catches ampadu’s foot and amps doesn’t roll around on the floor at all, he just stays down having been kicked. No problem with amps. My problem is with the Welsh players that didn’t stop the gobshite Maclean going over to point at amps and give him a mouthful. They should have stepped in earlier.

JCWhoosh

I agree, I’ve just watched the incident and he definitely catches ampadu’s foot and amps doesn’t roll around on the floor at all, he just stays down having been kicked. No problem with amps. My problem is with the Welsh players that didn’t stop the gobshite Maclean going over to point at amps and give him a mouthful. They should have stepped in earlier.
I stand to be corrected. I will need to see it again for the contact but must have missed it. I didn't mean rolling around as such, maybe just the remaining down on the ground. Totally agree, Maclean deserved a sending off, should never have gone back to give Amps a 'verbal or two. Just an unfortunate incident for both teams.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
The anguish on Ethan's face at 55 seconds into the video clearly demonstrates that it was a painful contact.

Mr Jinx

Very poor , went considerably down in my estimation.Something missing in his character if he has to resort to that sort of thing.
Yep me too. I am no longer wishing him the best with his career. He obviously watched Lamela in their game with Man U. There's just no place in the game for writhing around in agony when you've been nothing more than brushed.

And there I was thinking (hoping) that VAR would stamp out this kind of thing.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep me too. I am no longer wishing him the best with his career. He obviously watched Lamela in their game with Man U. There's just no place in the game for writhing around in agony when you've been nothing more than brushed.

There are elements that have crept into his game in the last couple of seasons which are nothing to be proud about. Something is not quite right and judging by comments on TalkSPORT he is beginning to become less of a media darling. This season could be crucial if he doesn’t perform for Sheffield United he may well find himself trying to rebuild his career with a Championship or even League One Club.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

Really?!

Mr Jinx

Yes, from the first angle you think ouch. From the other angle you can see it was just the slightest touch which Ampadu then went and make a complete meal of it, diving like a dying swan.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, from the first angle you think ouch. From the other angle you can see it was just the slightest touch which Ampadu then went and make a complete meal of it, diving like a dying swan.
I think it's almost impossible to tell how much contact there was / wasn't, but it looks to me as if McClean's knee inadvertently catches Ethan's following leg. In any case, as a former Grecian, with no track record for feigning injury, I'm more than happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Ash

Rosencrantz

Ethan sees the tackle coming, tries to ride it, gets clipped. Regulation yellow card for a late tackle going to ground. How much Ethan got hurt, only he knows.

budegrecian

Ethan sees the tackle coming, tries to ride it, gets clipped. Regulation yellow card for a late tackle going to ground. How much Ethan got hurt, only he knows.
I don't think he got clipped, it's more a case, as Egg says, that he catches Ethan across the shin with his knee. I've had this happen to me several times over the years, whilst playing local football & whilst they hurt like hell for a minute, because there's no joint or muscle damage, the pain eases & you recover reasonably quickly. Ethan did exactly what I would expect in this case: didn't role around or scream, just stayed down for a while until the pain eased & then got up.
I don't think he dived or tried to con the referee; McLean was was silly & reckless, having just been booked.