• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Compensation, some sort of add-ons?
Yes. I think so. Being pedantic, can we call that a fee?

Mackster

Liverpool Echo sees the funny side when reporting Liverpool's disappointment in missing out on Ethan as he signs for Chelsea.

They say 'Vitesse Arnhem will be made up' !

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-rumours-alberto-moreno-13267157
I think John Terry was the last player to make it as a 1st team regular, looks like a Bridge to far for Ethan. We may get to see him the Checkatrade before being sent on loan to Eredivisie

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think John Terry was the last player to make it as a 1st team regular, looks like a Bridge to far for Ethan. We may get to see him the Checkatrade before being sent on loan to Eredivisie
I suspect Ampadu may be the next Nathan Ake.

Ake can play anywhere across the back and midfield, joined Chelsea as a 16 year old, led their youth team (I remember seeing him on TV in the FA Youth Cup or whatever it's called these days), played 7 first team games for them, had two loans to decent sides in the SE (Reading and Watford) and has now gone to Bournemouth for £20M.

Banksy

Yes. I think so. Being pedantic, can we call that a fee?
Nope , call it shafted.

IndoMike

Nope , call it shafted.
It's just speculation at the moment, Banksy. I was just responding regarding the definition of "fee" and pondering if add-ons can be classified as "fee" . We don't know what the deal is or if we are in any position to deal.

Last edited:

IndoMike

My feeling is that Chelsea will just pay the standard requirement since they wouldn't want to set a precedent by paying over the odds for an academy player. If I had to bet, it will be add-ons.

IndoMike

It could still be a stepping stone to a Premier League career, though. It doesn't have to be at Chelsea. But yes, he will be part of Chelsea's vacuuming up the best youth players and then shaking out the dust for a good transfer fee. They're a kind of middle man.

Ash

As I see it, we've been sh/it on from a great height by all involved including the Ampadu's. Because of their timing, we get a pittance compared to what the boy might one day be worth. I say 'might' because its by no means certain that EA will become a Premier League star at Chelsea. His dad might have got him a spot there, but in his time with us, and with the few first team appearances he did make for us, did he really do enough to suggest he was going to set the world alight when he ultimately left? He was an academy player, but with all those school interuptions getting in the way, I dont think he's any great loss. Only time will tell if his future lies in the game.
What a load of ****! You think he needed his Dad to get him a spot at Chelsea? You think only time will tell if his future lies in the game? You really are clueless.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
My feeling is that Chelsea will just pay the standard requirement since they wouldn't want to set a precedent by paying over the odds for an academy player. If I had to bet, it will be add-ons.
On the face of it you could be right. HOWEVER, with the Ampadu family saying some time ago that they would look after City, I suspect that with Ethan choosing Chelsea against very considerable competition that Chelsea have been persuaded by the Ampadu family into some sort of contractual agreement with that in mind.

An old mate of mine has only good words to say about the Ampadus. He's known Kwame for about thirty years after his daughter was a physio at Arsenal when Kwame was there.

IndoMike

On the face of it you could be right. HOWEVER, with the Ampadu family saying some time ago that they would look after City, I suspect that with Ethan choosing Chelsea against very considerable competition that Chelsea have been persuaded by the Ampadu family into some sort of contractual agreement with that in mind.

An old mate of mine has only good words to say about the Ampadus. He's known Kwame for about thirty years after his daughter was a physio at Arsenal when Kwame was there.
RW : i have always supported the Ampadus : it is their business and like all families they must do the best for young Amps. My point is that if the buying team says "sorry, we will follow the compensation rules", that would be the end of the story. Secondly, is Chelsea actually allowed to not adhere to the compensation rules? If you see all my posts regarding this matter you will see I have never criticised the Ampadus. I also mentioned the point about the competition yesterday or 2 days ago, and maybe that was the bargaining point. I must say that if Amps has already signed for Chelsea surely the negotiation has already been done?

Last edited: