• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

English Language Class/ Watson should of scored (sic)

chrisnaan

I'd also like add the their there lesson too.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Extra charge for that one

G2K: 1. Could've and should've are contractions, not lazy contractions, unless I am mistaken, which of course is possible.
Could've and should've are fine but surely you should have explained that they are contractions of 'should have' and 'could have' in order to illustrate why 'should of' and 'could of' are wrong?

IndoMike

Could've and should've are fine but surely you should have explained that they are contractions of 'should have' and 'could have' in order to illustrate why 'should of' and 'could of' are wrong?
Tx for your input, SG. Three reasons why I didn't:

1. The OP was getting long, and I thought if I kept on and on people might get bored with it and turn off
2. I didn't really want to get into the world of terminology (in this case "contractions") again due to fear of turning people off. But, as you will see, the word was raised quickly and followed up.
3. I assumed that people would know that "could've" = "could have".. what else could it possibly be a contraction for?

But, you're right to question, SG: there's always a better way to explain something. But I do want to try and keep it short and sweet.
If I post another one, please keep me on my toes and also offer up some suggestions.

Alistair20000

What about that terrible mangling of the language by the child - broadcast before every match?
Fortunately there is a good chance of it being mangled in the fecking tannoy which is not fit for purpose.

mustangspeed2006

I cannot stand tautology - it is superfluous and unnecessary.

IndoMike

I cannot stand tautology - it is superfluous and unnecessary.
And irrelevant and not relevant !

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Is tautology wot teachers learned?

mustangspeed2006

Is tautology wot teachers learned?
Don't be such an (oxy)*****.

I'll get me coat...

scottus86

Might want to had they're to that too.