• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

English Language Class/ Watson should of scored (sic)

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
BTW are PC World still selling iPod's? They were last time I looked...

Swanaldo

Worse thread ever.

exehausted2

Joshyd123 your joking isn't as funny as my joking. Mine isn't very good but yours is worse, isn't it Swanaldo?

LOG

See the post's of newton pop for an object lesson in how not to use apostrophe's - hi's esse's are rarely without one...
Good point.

Unbelievable!!!

Last week Jonesy was great and saved us from going 2 down. This week he doesn't play as well and everyone say's he should be dropped! How does dropping him improve his confidence? When a goalie make's a mistake it's usually because the 10 player's in front of him have allowed the ball to get through to him.

Defence start's with the striker's.

les.gtfc

Worse thread ever.
Worse or worst?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Sadly, I am a real pedant about stuff like this. OK, everyone makes the odd mistake, but grammar, spelling and punctuation errors seem far, far, more prevalent nowadays than they ever used to be.

It really is down to lower standards in the teaching of English and an almost "anything goes" attitude. The average person's vocabulary is very limited compared with years ago.

The vast majority of people don't appear to think it matters but, personally, I do. Language is an art form and you only have to read novels by authors like George Elliott to realise how much we have lost. I even noticed the other day that my own daughter was writing "should of" rather than "should have" - and she is 27 years old!

So many people are doing it now that it will soon become the norm, but it is grammatically wrong!

Oh, by the way, important as it is, why is this on WoWS?

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Oh, by the way, important as it is, why is this on WoWS?
Completely agree with the sentiments of your post Pete. As for why this is on WoWS, surely it should be here? It is Words on Well Street isn't it??? :D

Last edited:

Swanaldo

Worse or worst?
Les, that may be your first ever Exeweb whoooosh. Congratulations.

Swanaldo

OK, everyone makes the odd mistake, but grammar, spelling and punctuation errors seem far, far, more prevalent nowadays than they ever used to be.
Do you need the comma after that second 'far'?

:D

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Do you need the comma after that second 'far'?

:D
If you're running short of commas I've got a bag full here spare I can email you ... :)