• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England v Italy Match Day Thread - Day 3

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
I knew the game was lost as soon as I saw the starting line-up - not one, but two players playing out of position (Rooney & Welbeck). If you're not going to play players in their natural positions from kick off, don't play them. That said, given this, it was a fairly valiant effort and not all doom and gloom. Uruguay will not be a walk over however. They will be hurting and it's $h1t or bust for them too. Neither will Costa Rica. Getting out of the group is a far from given. I don't think we will.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
... Getting out of the group is a far from given. I don't think we will.
I think you be right. It's a shame because the expectancy I witnessed in and around Swindon has suddenly nose-dived. Picking up my son in town after the match and I could see doubts forming with many fans suddenly pinning their hopes on the Dutch.

We can but live in hope.

Alistair20000

"Lose a game and that country will struggle to qualify."

Hants has spoken.

tavyred

I quite enjoyed our attacking intent but it was still men against boys technically and tactically. Despite most of their ageing team operating in a greatly devalued serie A, I thought they won at a canter. You may pooh pooh it but I thought the difference between the two teams psychologically was evident during the national anthems, our boys mumbling their way through ours and the Italians mostly giving it bell tink!
The Uruguay game will come down to our Championship (ie. 2nd tier) quality defence versus their top quality attack, although an early England goal might be too much for their Latin temperaments and they could hopefully implode in a flurry of red cards. I think we'll miss out on the second round on goal difference.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Championship defence? Think that's harsh on Gary Cahill, who helped Chelsea keep a clean sheet at Anfield and at home to Cavani's PSG, and the left-back who has knocked Ashley Cole out of the team. Admittedly Johnson is a weak-link but Jagielka is solid enough.

Grecian_Jay

I would jsut like to take this opportunity to inform everyone that Cavani is one of the worst strikers in Europe. How he plays at the level he does is incredible, he is utter ****e. We have nothing to worry about there.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would jsut like to take this opportunity to inform everyone that Cavani is one of the worst strikers in Europe. How he plays at the level he does is incredible, he is utter ****e. We have nothing to worry about there.
He's been rubbish every time I've seen him. Never played in a top league, only Serie A and Ligue 1.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Thought attacking wise we did well , Sterling/welbeck IMO played well - and was nice to see us attack them with real pace for a change...

Sadly defensivly we dire - Johnson , jagielka and baines are not good enough at the top top level - although Baines was exposed with Rooney not wanting to track back he should of got closer to the cross for the 2nd goal

Next game - id leave the Midfield-fowards the same , but bring in Phil Jones at rightback and Shaw at left back.

grecIAN Harris

Phil Jones is a cart horse when he's not playing centre half.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This has caused a bit of discussion on social media. Showing passion or being a ****?

[video=youtube;7bZwr2FeC_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bZwr2FeC_Q[/video]

Very much the former IMO.