• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ENGLAND v Belgium

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do you think he'd get into Croatia's team. or France's, or Belgium's? I think he's bog standard.
Agree does not really look senior international material.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know he made an outstanding out of this world save in the second half, but I'm still not convinced that Pickford should be England first choice at the moment. He's still young with time on his side; but I still dont think he was the better choice over Heaton or Butland. US Co-commentator Tony Meola said "he might be questioning his positioning" over the second goal. I'm open minded about that one, but I suppose he could have been faster off of his line and gone to ground across the attacker, as he did a couple of times previously in this game?

Antony Moxey

Kane interview on Talk Sport “second half had them on the ropes at times” a slightly OTT comment !!
I think he’s bang on. If you don’t think England were the better side in the second half then truly you will never enjoy or appreciate an England performance ever. The only difference overall between the two sides was Eden Hazard - We simply don’t have a playerof his calibre which is why we lost today and lost to a Modric-inspired Croatia (well, Modric and two defensive lapses).

geoffwp

Kane interview on Talk Sport “second half had them on the ropes at times” a slightly OTT comment !!
quite frankly that is rubbish. I have read the thread back through again and TBH I hardly recognise the England team ive watched in this tournament from the descriptions and the critical comments you, and some others, have made. I'm not sure what you expected but I've been pleasantly surprised by this England squad. Of course they aren't a polished gem stone, but they are still well beyond a lot of England squads in the past decade or so. I like their approach and I like above all the way they have been guided. I have enjoyed the lack of ego and the honesty on display. The quality of the football may not have always been as sharp as that offered by some countries, but there was enough creative flowing movement to show these lads are definitely not no hopers. There was also a togetherness about the team that showed in the way they played. The negative focus of your comments are indeed more OTT than you would have Kane's comment to be. Personally I far prefer to focus on the positives that the team showed, and they far outweighed any harping criticism.

Alistair20000

Do you think he'd get into Croatia's team. or France's, or Belgium's? I think he's bog standard.
How many of our team would get into those teams ?

L-C has played very few games at club level (22, yes just 22 for Chelsea and 24 on loan at Palace) often in a central or defensive midfield role. Antonio Conte has said he has the potential to be a striker. I like his direct approach, power and ability to get into the box. He is being wasted on Chelsea’s books. He is far from the finished article of course but has a lot of potential. I would love to see him go to Spurs where I think he would improve a great deal under Pochettino.

Alistair20000

Well said Geoffrey. (y)

Pretty much sums up my view of how this team and the manager come out of this tournament. The hope is what can kill of course but these lads have done us proud and I think they can kick on from here.