• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Eng V USA. AKA The Wayne Rooney Testimonial

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
What a depressing bunch of miserablists you all are. The FA want to honor one of greatest - if not the greatest - international goal scorers of all time in a nothing friendly that’ll barely register anyone’s interest and all you lot can do is moan and criticise. Good luck to Rooney in the game, I hope it’s an enjoyable spectacle for all.

Colesman Ballz

What a depressing bunch of miserablists you all are. The FA want to honor one of greatest - if not the greatest - international goal scorers of all time in a nothing friendly that’ll barely register anyone’s interest and all you lot can do is moan and criticise. Good luck to Rooney in the game, I hope it’s an enjoyable spectacle for all.
Beauty of Exeweb innit ? Everybody is entitled to express their opinion, even you. ;)

Stelios

Miserable? Yes! Watching Rooney puffing about at major tournaments achieving sod all certainly made me miserable.

Podolski? World Cup winner. Silva? Euro/World Cup winner.

Rooney? Nothing.

If it's a nothing friendly then he won't mind all his friendly caps and goals being expunged from the record lists, will he?

I can't believe he agreed to this in the first place. He should be too embarrassed to show up. The ego of these people and the power of their giant PR/Marketing machines is incredible.

Antony Moxey

Miserable? Yes! Watching Rooney puffing about at major tournaments achieving sod all certainly made me miserable.

Podolski? World Cup winner. Silva? Euro/World Cup winner.

Rooney? Nothing.

If it's a nothing friendly then he won't mind all his friendly caps and goals being expunged from the record lists, will he?

I can't believe he agreed to this in the first place. He should be too embarrassed to show up. The ego of these people and the power of their giant PR/Marketing machines is incredible.
Like I said: miserabilstas. Nothing to you, England’s all time record goal scorer to me. Wallow in your cynicism, i’ll Enjoy celebrating what he achieved on the pitch.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Our best goal scorer of all time and arguably one of our best players of all time....

No issue for me.

grecIAN Harris

Believe this all stems from Southgate's first ever game for England, v Germany, when Lukas Podolski came on late for his 130th cap and scored the winner ! In effect that game was his testimonial.

Sympathise with the view that national selection based on sentiment rather than merit devalues the 'cap' and its rankings. Although Rooney won't overtake anyone else in total caps won, should he happen to score a fluke and adds to his record goal tally then it pushes the target further away from the likes of Harry Kane, and also devalues that achievement in the process.
The first part of that sentence might be right but Lukas Podolski??? I don't think so. He was playing for Arsenal after Southgate took up club management.

Antony Moxey

Although Rooney won't overtake anyone else in total caps won, should he happen to score a fluke and adds to his record goal tally then it pushes the target further away from the likes of Harry Kane, and also devalues that achievement in the process.
What a bizarre train of thought: a goal scored in international football somehow devalues the achievement and should be frowned upon because it makes a more difficult target for others to achieve. Have you checked all of Harry Kane’s goals to make sure none of those were flukes or meaningless efforts against unworthy opposition? Hopefully all of Lineker’s, Charlton’s and Rooney’s efforts were winners in major games against top opposition and flew into the top corner from 30 yards after beating eight opposition players rather than a two yard tap in after tripping over a sprawling defender.

Perish the thought that our record goal scorer might actually improve that record.

LOG

The first part of that sentence might be right but Lukas Podolski??? I don't think so. He was playing for Arsenal after Southgate took up club management.
Dunno if i'm misunderstanding this but Lukas Podolski's final match for Germany, and his 130th cap, was the one elgy refers to and was played in March 2017.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
It doesn't happen all that often but I find myself in total agreement with Mox!

grecIAN Harris

Dunno if i'm misunderstanding this but Lukas Podolski's final match for Germany, and his 130th cap, was the one elgy refers to and was played in March 2017.
And I'm reading it as Southgate's first ever game for England as one he played in rather than managed which, having re-read it is maybe what Elgin is referring to.