• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Energy Prices

OmanGrecian

I bought a new build in Dec and I am on EoN Heat. This is the new energy solution with no boiler. It is supposedly more economical. Just received my first bill having only stayed in the home for 3 nights this year and had heating on very low (an away mode on the console). Ouch. It even includes a 35 pound monthly fixed fee for the convenience of the new system. I'm tied into the scheme too (caveats of new builds). I dread to think what the bill would have been if I had been in the house for the month.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
The Chancellor will be giving us a £200 loan to help offset the hike in energy prices, as Ofcom raises the cap by £693.

With inflation and the increase in NI contributions the next couple of years are going to be interesting!
Which has to be repaid over the next 5 years, so let's hope prices don't continue to rise, or next year will be this year + increase + repayment 🤯

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Chancellor will be giving us a £200 loan to help offset the hike in energy prices, as Ofcom raises the cap by £693.

With inflation and the increase in NI contributions the next couple of years are going to be interesting!
Why not just lower the cap?

Or is that too much of a Spinal Tap question?

Grecian2K

Oh those heady naive days of "the battle of Brexit".
Boris promises cheaper household gas bills if Brits back Brexit – The Sun
That worked out well, didn't it!

angelic upstart

Why not just lower the cap?

Or is that too much of a Spinal Tap question?

The Government insist on a cap, OFGEM administer the cap. The Government offer small loan that we need to pay back as the cap is too high.

Rosencrantz

The Government insist on a cap, OFGEM administer the cap. The Government offer small loan that we need to pay back as the cap is too high.
And the cap is calculated on wholesale energy prices comprising of the previous 6 months so it is something that the Government and OFGEM can claim they have no influence over. Free market forces. The £150 council tax rebate for bands A-D (I take it they are reimbursing the councils centrally) is a help. The loan we will have to see how that works out but can you see the cap and customer rates being reduced in the next few years to somewhere near recent levels?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good job we're not in the EU and can cut VAT on fuel like Johnson said.

Meanwhile, in the EU.

20220203_191157.jpg

Oldsmobile-88

The Standing Charge in the price cap from April works out at £22 a month(dual fuel bill) 😳😳

A Hidden cost of £68 in the typical energy bill is for failed gas suppliers in 2021 plus £18 for the Smart Meter roll out((if you have one or not)

10E06DEF-2746-4C54-8027-A0C39B643287.jpeg

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Is this a good time to move from a gas boiler to an electric one?

Average Joe

Is this a good time to move from a gas boiler to an electric one?
Knowing that EDF and the Chinese Nuclear Organization control the finances for our electricity and that will also raise as well as our gas rates. Our Government need to take control of the situation.

I still can't believe David Cameron couldn't find the money to build Hinkley Point C but managed to find the money for other pointless projects. We should be controlling of our own supplies. Appreciate if your country does not has Gas there's not much you can do about it. Maybe it's time to seriously think about moving on from using gas.