• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Green Clubs

Trapdoor

Isnt it really about developing the adjoining land as an environment business park?
There is that as well. $$$$$

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Isnt it really about developing the adjoining land as an environment business park?
You never know with Dale Vince what is genuine ecological campaigning and what is just froth. He's certainly "done well by doing good". No issues with that, but spare me the PR and evangelising.

* Lots of eco-BS in this Eco Park | WE ARE FGR

* "Eco-Park" with lots of low-carbon dah, dah, dah.

* Also they will sell the New Lawn for housing.

But as Spike Milligan said:

"The only way to true, lasting inner happiness is TRANSCENDENTAL MONEY"

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You never know with Dale Vince what is genuine ecological campaigning and what is just froth. He's certainly "done well by doing good". No issues with that, but spare me the PR and evangelising.

What baffles me is the way so much of the media continues to fall for his bs and continue to churn out uncritical puff pieces about how wonderful everything to do with Forest Green is.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can anyone explain to a simpleton like me how his grass to gas scheme would work, by using half the grassland in the UK for conversion we could be self sufficient in gas by 2030! Really?

Presumably this would mean kicking the sheep and livestock off the fields and common land. How would it be harvested and transported and also what happens in the winter when the grass isn't growing, I suppose we will be reliant on wind energy in the winter. All sounds so good and simple if you are a Vegan

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
All sounds so good and simple if you are a Vegan
And like BS if you are not.

The problem is here and it is *now*. Wind turbines cannot solve our problems as you need "baseload" plant. As we have shut down coal and there are supply and storage problems for gas, we are uniquely vulnerable in the UK.

Wind is producing 15% of our electricity at the moment, it was down to 7% at times last week when it was calm. Gas half, nuclear 11%, biomass (imported wood pellets at Drax) 7%.

If we have a cold winter with calm days and even one nuclear or large gas plant goes off-line, there are going to be "brown outs" as the euphemism has it.

Langer

The only eco warrior I got any respect for is Swampy.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster

I know Dale Vince and while I would agree that there is a certain (perhaps large) amount of attention-seeking and 'eco-BS' going on, a fraud and a gimmick he is not - he is genuinely passionate environmental sustainability, which forms the starting point for all of his business ventures, including FGR. And if you have 'done well by doing good', why on earth would you not flaunt it? FIFA may be a bunch of idiots but the UN are not and to get recognition from them for his work is some achievement.

Unnecessary stadium? Maybe, but his plans are for the Championship and the new stadium (capacity currently 5000 I think) can be easily extended at the new location. Yes, a bigger catchment area, but why not? The traditionally supported local clubs (Bristol Rovers, Swindon) are hardly attractive propositions a present. And anyone questioning the transport situation can't have been to Nailsworth! There are also well advanced plans to re-establish a Stonehouse station on the main line from Bristol to Brum - which would be walkable to the new stadium.

The one thing that nags at me is - how sustainable will FGR be once Dale and is money are gone?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know Dale Vince and while I would agree that there is a certain (perhaps large) amount of attention-seeking and 'eco-BS' going on, a fraud and a gimmick he is not - he is genuinely passionate environmental sustainability, which forms the starting point for all of his business ventures, including FGR. And if you have 'done well by doing good', why on earth would you not flaunt it? FIFA may be a bunch of idiots but the UN are not and to get recognition from them for his work is some achievement.

Unnecessary stadium? Maybe, but his plans are for the Championship and the new stadium (capacity currently 5000 I think) can be easily extended at the new location. Yes, a bigger catchment area, but why not? The traditionally supported local clubs (Bristol Rovers, Swindon) are hardly attractive propositions a present. And anyone questioning the transport situation can't have been to Nailsworth! There are also well advanced plans to re-establish a Stonehouse station on the main line from Bristol to Brum - which would be walkable to the new stadium.

The one thing that nags at me is - how sustainable will FGR be once Dale and is money are gone?
That's good to know and I wasn't saying he is a fraud. I have no reason to doubt his motives, you don't put £2M pa into a football club for no reason. I just think he's is a bit evasive about the larger project, and am unconvinced about the "sustainability" of the whole renewable energy sector. I do know a bit about the latter, having worked in energy for 25 years.

And I have been to Nailsworth many times and know the area - by chance I was actually in Stroud (well drove though on my way to Chalford, to be exact) at the weekend.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's good to know and I wasn't saying he is a fraud. I have no reason to doubt his motives, you don't put £2M pa into a football club for no reason. I just think he's is a bit evasive about the larger project, and am unconvinced about the "sustainability" of the whole renewable energy sector. I do know a bit about the latter, having worked in energy for 25 years.

And I have been to Nailsworth many times and know the area - by chance I was actually in Stroud (well drove though on my way to Chalford, to be exact) at the weekend.
Sorry John, I quoted you but was also answering several earlier comments in the thread. I've no doubt you've seen ECFC at FGR many times! And you did well to miss the horrendous roadworks on the Stroud to Chalford Road - think they give it a rest at the weekends.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry John, I quoted you but was also answering several earlier comments in the thread. I've no doubt you've seen ECFC at FGR many times! And you did well to miss the horrendous roadworks on the Stroud to Chalford Road - think they give it a rest at the weekends.
No there are two lots - under the railway and towards Thrupp.