• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Football suspended until 30 April

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
The trouble with that is that there is a lot of research evidence that on average private and grammar schools tend to over-estimate grades, less successful schools underestimate grades. Unless universities and employers are cognizant of this it will reinforce the bias in favour of the privileged for top universities and jobs.
I didn't say it was right, just how they've decided to cope with current situation for this year's GCSE and A-levels.

Red Devon

Increasing speculation in the last few days that the PPG system maybe implemented as way of finishing off the season this would be bad news for us Grecians as we’re averaging 1.5 points per game with Cheltenham on 1.7 which would lift them above us into fourth place....there is already a counter argument to this though as some clubs have home games in hand on others the PPG system is being seen as unfair to these clubs.

andrew p long

Whatever happens the results shouldn’t be expunged. Even if there is no relegation or promotion, we don’t want to deprive all those players of their goals and appearance records (it would knock 20+ goals off of Ollie Watkins tally) . Or worse still, the records would show we had never beaten Argyle 4-0.

and now I think of it, what about those transfer fee appearance add ons ? If Ethan had played 20 games for Chelsea this season, would they then have been able to duck out of paying us the 500k due, on the grounds that the records showed the games never happened?

IndoMike

The trouble with that is that there is a lot of research evidence that on average private and grammar schools tend to over-estimate grades, less successful schools underestimate grades. Unless universities and employers are cognizant of this it will reinforce the bias in favour of the privileged for top universities and jobs.
John : even if they are cognizant of the fact, there's little they can do about it. In effect "less successful schools underestimate grades" is hearsay and cannot be proven, so universities and employers will dismiss that argument because frankly they don't have the ability/facility to grade applicants themselves.

IndoMike

At least the season has to be finished in the summer. If it isn't, what happens if the new season starts and another wave of the virus reappears (hopefully not as threatening) in the autumn or winter, as many experts are predicting. Will that be a second season null and void? Finish this season whenever we can and take it from there.

Grecian Max

Increasing speculation in the last few days that the PPG system maybe implemented as way of finishing off the season this would be bad news for us Grecians as we’re averaging 1.5 points per game with Cheltenham on 1.7 which would lift them above us into fourth place....there is already a counter argument to this though as some clubs have home games in hand on others the PPG system is being seen as unfair to these clubs.

If this happens our latest form will be even more annoying.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can't see that working. so many unfairnesses.

I go back to the Bournemouth / Watford / West Ham situation. All three on the same points from the same games and only one goal worse for Bournemouth. All three same form last 5 games (W1, D1, L3) 9 games to go. Would you accept being relegated on that basis? And lose perhaps £100M?

Also 3 teams on 60 points for the last promotion place in L1.

If they cannot play the whole season by some means, it has to be wiped out.

Oldsmobile-88

I go back to the Bournemouth / Watford / West Ham situation. All three on the same points from the same games and only one goal worse for Bournemouth. All three same form last 5 games (W1, D1, L3) 9 games to go. Would you accept being relegated on that basis? And lose perhaps £100M?

Good points John...The last sentence in the 2nd paragraph sums up what is wrong in the game & how out of kilter it has got with society in general.

Red Devon

I hear you...but teams have been promoted and relegated in the past for scoring or conceding only goal fewer than another...The best proposal I have yet to hear is that of Championship clubs which is a quick fire three games a week for three weeks during June if the curve has fallen enough to allow it with the possibility of games being played behind closed doors with free ifollow coverage for the fans to watch if needed.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
John : even if they are cognizant of the fact, there's little they can do about it. In effect "less successful schools underestimate grades" is hearsay and cannot be proven, so universities and employers will dismiss that argument because frankly they don't have the ability/facility to grade applicants themselves.
Not saying its true, or not true (I've no idea), but schools give an official "expected" grade. Then students get an actual grade. There are thousands of schools and many years worth of data. I'd have thought it definitely could be proven, were it the case.