• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Football suspended until 30 April

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thought that I had heard recently, in that that they were unable to come up the cash required to to satisfy their CVA within the time limits, resulting in their liquidation, irrespective of the never endling court case. Might be wrong though, given all the sudden twists in this sorry, sordid affair ! Perhaps it might have been that it was only the CVA which "went for a trip down the Swanny" ?
Just googled and that is sort of what's happened. See David Conn's article from the Guardian On line from the 14th February. Dale failed to pay the CVA creditors on time, and after being given an extra 21 days, surprise, surprise still didn't cough up ! So the CVA Administrator was due to start was due to file a Winding Order which is likely to lead to Liquidation. Among the few remaining assets that the Liquidator might be able to sell are the naming rights to the club !

Colesman Ballz

I am not an assiduous follower of Bury legal proceedings but thought in early Feb the winding up petition was kicked out by the beak.
Ah, you no doubt missed the subsequent news on the CVA Al ? I never had you down as being a Romantic (or even a New Romantic come to that !). You were no doubt very busy showering loving attention towards SWIMBO on the day that the news broke ! Are Champers, caviar, and red roses "de rigueur" out Tebb'ern way these days ? Lol.

jimmy

Easy enough for the PL clubs to swallow the loss of match day income but not for EFL clubs who depend on it. There is no way an online PPV income will be anywhere near normal match day revenue for League One and Two clubs.
That is true as it will probably be priced at £10 a game. With several watching one screen.

However, one thing to consider is the 'away' team will have many subscriptions too, giving clubs an income for 'home' and 'away' games.

If behind closed doors sport can be conducted safely, they should get it up and running.

andrew p long

They cannot expunge this season from the records. That would mean

- we didn’t beat Argyle 4-0

- Ollie Watkins hasn’t scored a single goal for a year

Grecian Max

They cannot expunge this season from the records. That would mean

- we didn’t beat Argyle 4-0

- Ollie Watkins hasn’t scored a single goal for a year
Would also mean:

- Argyle don't get automatically promoted

- We don't miss out one 4th promotion place to Cheltenham

I'd personally take that

Grecian Max

So today's news, that we're likely to be in lockdown until the beginning of June (anyone who has been following this for a while - prior to it arriving in the UK will have seen this coming)

I see even less chance of the season being concluded. Post lockdown we'd still be looking at stringent social distancing measures, I highly doubt the PFA and players will be happy to play even behind closed doors. With talks happening this week, I'm expecting the eventual cancellation of this season all together. Whilst shit for a lot of clubs it has to be done.

This would allow clearer planning going forward as to when next season starts afresh. Given the likelihood that we might not get the all clear to play until Sept/Oct as well as allowing the possible second wave lockdown in the winter this time. I might be wrong and they could try smashing the league in a month but yeah... no football for a while.

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
A good summary Max.

I just hope there are the same number of EFL teams around when it does start up again after all of this.
Tough times ahead for all in football.

Banksy

This season is dead in the water. If they try to complete it say towards the end of the summer most folk will have lost interest anyway.If they try to use some weird formula to decide promotion and demotion there will be hell to pay from the teams who consider they haven’t been treated properly. Who’s to say what would have really happened after all if the games had been completed? So fairest all round is just write it off .Biggest losers of course Leagues one and two who need the gate income Wonder how many clubs will be pushed over the edge.

Legohead

Banned
I agree that the season should be voided. There is not likely to be any football played for some significant time and the aim now has to be to try and get the forthcoming season to start on time if possible. Although at the moment, that too seems like a forlorn hope.

So Liverpool don't get to win the title but worse still, our 4-0 rout of Argiggle won't count.

Banksy

But we still beat ‘em Lego , they can’t take that away . Looking on the glass half empty side , if the season had gone on too maybe they would have gone on to win the return fixture and consign us to the playoffs.And we all know how good we’ve been at them recently.