• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Football suspended until 30 April

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
One suggestion is that the Euros will move to 2021 and the season will complete over the summer.
Seems sensible,but where would that leave the qualifiers for the 2022 WC ?

DB9

One suggestion is that the Euros will move to 2021 and the season will complete over the summer.
That is a good suggestion but the effects of this virus won't be hitting us for weeks possibly months so come June when the Euros are due to start we could be in a situation where the tested positive people could be in the thousands and deaths much higher, All of this is conjecture and I'm no expert but this is what has been said. Best thing IMHO is null and void til August and see how things are then

DB9

Seems sensible,but where would that leave the qualifiers for the 2022 WC ?
Postpone midweek games in the Carabo cup or postpone the competition altogether, No midweek replays for FA Cup Will help free up the space?

budegrecian

If the season resumes in early April it shouldn't be too difficult to finish the regular season by mid May. The Euros will more than likely be put back 12 months & my suggestion would be that the play offs are abandoned in favour of an extra team getting automatically promoted, i.e. returning to the system we had before we had the play offs. Therefore in Lge 2 the top 4 would get automatically promoted.
This would then give everyone a decent break between seasons & if necessary the 20/21 season could start a week or two later; it shouldn't be that difficult to increase the number of midweek games by, say, two over a whole season.

denzel

If the season resumes in early April it shouldn't be too difficult to finish the regular season by mid May. The Euros will more than likely be put back 12 months & my suggestion would be that the play offs are abandoned in favour of an extra team getting automatically promoted, i.e. returning to the system we had before we had the play offs. Therefore in Lge 2 the top 4 would get automatically promoted.
This would then give everyone a decent break between seasons & if necessary the 20/21 season could start a week or two later; it shouldn't be that difficult to increase the number of midweek games by, say, two over a whole season.
If the experts are right it wont be resuming in April
Probably finish in September then condense the next season between December and May, getting rid of the Carabao and leasing thing.

Ashford Grecian

Can't even go to Ashford Town tomorrow Isthmian league has gone so very odd re National League

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Covid closing everything down and yet Clive and the team still cracking on to get our pitch back to perfection ! Well done lads.
UTC.

DB9

Covid closing everything down and yet Clive and the team still cracking on to get our pitch back to perfection ! Well done lads.
UTC.
For the pitch to recover no games for a few weeks at least will do it the world of good

Oldsmobile-88

Can't even go to Ashford Town tomorrow Isthmian league has gone so very odd re National League
Fair play to them for carrying on.

I find it odd that the Western League & the like have cancelled,given the relatively small numbers that turn up to those games..You have more chance of a bustling crowd at Sainsbury’s on a Saturday or be in closer contact to people on the bus or train or heaven forbid the awful underground network in London(I don’t like travelling on that at the best of times due to the close proximity of fellow travellers)

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
With no football on for a few weeks what are people going to fill the time with ?
Looks like Mrs Ramone now has me sorting out the attic of clutter, That'll be fun and after that I'm sure she'll find other interesting jobs for me to carry out.