• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Football suspended until 30 April

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
The football season had started in 1939 when WW2 was declared. In England, most of the leagues were "abandoned". Obviously abandonment was the only the only way with those circumstances since several years passed before resumption was possible. I wonder what the format/agreement was with clubs back then regarding league positions etc. Far before my time, but it would be interesting to know what the plan was.

DB9

The football season had started in 1939 when WW2 was declared. In England, most of the leagues were "abandoned". Obviously abandonment was the only the only way with those circumstances since several years passed before resumption was possible. I wonder what the format/agreement was with clubs back then regarding league positions etc. Far before my time, but it would be interesting to know what the plan was.
I'd imagine since it was only September, Just a few games played, No such thing as play offs, Multi Billion pound TV deals back then, It was probably a case of close up, A lot of footballers would be called up and see where we are when the War was over, A much more simpler time

Oldsmobile-88

They only played 3 games before the season was cancelled.
Can’t really compare that to the ongoing scenario.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A further update from the EFL and the Club. Good to see some financial help being made available.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Statement from Tagg

DB9

Need to change the title of this thread Hants to the 30th👍

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Need to change the title of this thread Hants to the 30th👍
Should there even be a date in it?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just put "at least" before 30th. Or "at the earliest" after.

DB9

Think John has the answer 😄

Banksy

One more postponement and I reckon the season will be scrapped whatever they say.