• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL decision day - Monday 8th June (now Tues 9th June)

ryancooper327

Im guessing it won’t apply to Salford and Bolton etc who have already brought in about 30 players each?

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Im guessing it won’t apply to Salford and Bolton etc who have already brought in about 30 players each?
Separate thread but...of course they have got round the salary cap by signing oodles of players on big money. Although the cap comes in now it doesn’t apply to those players wages which are assumed to be average rather than massive. So these clubs get round the salary cap for the next three years.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Separate thread but...of course they have got round the salary cap by signing oodles of players on big money. Although the cap comes in now it doesn’t apply to those players wages which are assumed to be average rather than massive. So these clubs get round the salary cap for the next three years.
My understanding is that the cap is not yet enforceable as it is subject to challenge by the PFA. I might have got the wrong end of the stick on this though.

Grecian2K

My understanding is that the cap is not yet enforceable as it is subject to challenge by the PFA. I might have got the wrong end of the stick on this though.
Gordon Bennett* - what a farce!!!

I suppose in the meantime the "sugar daddies" can keep spaffing squillions on over-rated players (and their agents) prior to any final resolution. I can understand the PFA trying to protect the interests of their members but, as I've asked before, why should football alone be cocooned from the impending unemployment apocalypse.

Oh, and another - although perhaps not entirely unrelated - matter, does anyone know when the fixture list will finally be limping out from EFL Towers? After all, the hoped for start date is rapidly approaching.

*Or, on second thoughts, should that have read "Gordon Taylor"??? :rolleyes:

Rosencrantz

I would have thought it is in place until the PFA win their case? Like yourself though, I might be on the other end of the branch.

Grecian2K

One further thought regarding the fixture list occurs.

If football is to resume in early September one would imagine that, like all the other sporting events currently being allowed, ALL visiting teams would be required to convince all of "the powers that be" - and not just the EFL - that adequately secure covid-free travel and accommodation has been ensured to protect the "bubbles" of the travelling squads and officials.

And that this would apply not just to ECFC but to all teams wishing to resume playing.

I wouldn't imagine that this is something that can be put together at the drop of a hat and would require quite a degree of forward notice for all such arrangements to be approved. Especially as far as the early fixtures are concerned.

Yet another compelling reason for all of the authorities to get their fingers out in this respect?

Red Devon

Overnight accommodation is an unnecessary luxury at the moment travel up and back on match day..I’d be really surprised to see data showing any real gains in results by including an overnight stay anyway.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gordon Bennett* - what a farce!!!

I suppose in the meantime the "sugar daddies" can keep spaffing squillions on over-rated players (and their agents) prior to any final resolution. I can understand the PFA trying to protect the interests of their members but, as I've asked before, why should football alone be cocooned from the impending unemployment apocalypse.
From what I've seen the PFA have said they are not necessarily opposed to the principle of a salary cap but their biggest concern is the failure of the EFL to consult with them which they claim makes the new cap illegal.

denzel

Overnight accommodation is an unnecessary luxury at the moment travel up and back on match day..I’d be really surprised to see data showing any real gains in results by including an overnight stay anyway.
Well good luck with going up to Barrow and back in a day and playing a game of football in the meantime.
Now if only we were sponsored by an airline...

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Well good luck with going up to Barrow and back in a day and playing a game of football in the meantime.
Now if only we were sponsored by an airline...
It's all about flying carpets now!

What's the problem with staying in a hotel overnight?