• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC v Carlisle Utd Matchday thread

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Name the teams you've seen that look better than us?
Name the teams in the current top half of the table that we've beaten...

FGR - drawn at home
Port Vale - yet to play (away 18th December)
Swindon - yet to play (home on Boxing Day)
Northampton (home 7th December)
Orient - lost away
Harrogate - drew away
Newport - drew at home
Sutton - won at home
Bradford -drew at home
Tranmere - yet to play (home 11th December)
Hartlepool -drew away

Like I said earlier, if we get to the New Year relatively unscathed it might sway me.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
When we have probably the best squad, and that's squad in it's entirity, that we've had since we won the Fourth Division. It's not going to happen every week but teams such as Oldham and Carlisle (given the situation they were in 46 minutes) should be comprehensively put to the sword.
Making out we're the man city of league 2. There's strength in depth but a lot of the squad are solid league 2 players

scottus86

Name the teams in the current top half of the table that we've beaten...

FGR - drawn at home
Port Vale - yet to play (away 18th December)
Swindon - yet to play (home on Boxing Day)
Northampton (home 7th December)
Orient - lost away
Harrogate - drew away
Newport - drew at home
Sutton - won at home
Bradford -drew at home
Tranmere - yet to play (home 11th December)
Hartlepool -drew away

Like I said earlier, if we get to the New Year relatively unscathed it might sway me.
To be fair, we have only lost one so far. Drawing with the top teams and beating the bottom teams could be enough.

It would be nice to get some wins from those remaining ones though, and the run we're on should give us the confidence to do it.

Sometimes it's easier to play proper football against another team trying to win a game, than against a team that sets up to defend a point and disrupt play constantly.

I didn't watch the Carlisle game though, so maybe they didn't do that, but most bottom teams do and that's why good teams might not look so good against them, but they grind out narrow wins anyway.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
We've got some tough games coming up in December, including back to back games against port vale, swindon and forest green. We'll have a better idea of where we are after those.

Memphis09

If we can get to the New Year and still be in the top four I'll be happy. My concern is we barely got over the line at home against two of the worst sides in the league. We have some much tougher games coming up, the season is four months old and I'm still waiting for us to look like a promotion-winning team.
Last season we would of lost or drawn against those teams

iscalad

Has anyone yet, heard anything about the idiot who ran onto the pitch?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
What a great partner PPAUK are in recording our Grecian story for posterity giving us all the "I wuz there" memories when we have a mo to reflect !
UTC

Avening Posse

I think we are doing fantastic and I'm not concerned about just "scraping" wins against the perceived lesser clubs in the division. Those sort of teams play a certain way when they see they have Exeter next week, and it's about getting over the line against them. In the past we struggled to get over the line against these teams and could not always break them down. I believe the teams a bit higher up will be more confident and play more openly which should suit us

Pobbop

the overly demanding fan's refrain

if we lost we should have drawn
when we draw , we should have won
when we win narrowly, we should have won by more
when we win by more, we should play a more attractive style
when we win 4-0 after being 0-0 at half time, why does it take us so long to get going?
when we win 4-0 after being 4-0 at half time, then why did we take our foot off the gas?
when we win by lots in an attractive style, then we should do it more consistently
when we consistently win comprehensively, in an attractive style, then we should be blooding the youngsters more

And winning consistently attractively comprehensively with a young team of academy graduates then.....

'League Two is not very good this year is it?'
Agree, but the last one seems to come up every year, wherever we finish, it really is odd, it's the basement League not the Champions Leugue. You get grit, fight, physicality, but you don't get a lot of Skill or brilliance, otherwise they wouldn't be playing here, with the odd exception.