• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC transfers, Ins/Outs for the Summer of 2014

GrecianWonder

Harleys done nothing for years how many clubs how many managers has he failed to do anything now some people going on like hes the messiah.
Cureton on the other hand = Goals
Sorry but you just contradicted yourself there.

Harley went up the pyramid and wasnt given opportunities to have the team be built around him.

Cureton on the other hand went wherever paid most and scored 8 goals last season (which is his highest return NOT at ECFC since 07/08)

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cureton on the other hand went wherever paid most and scored 8 goals last season (which is his highest return NOT at ECFC since 07/08)
Actually he got 11 league goals from 23 starts and 12 sub appearances - Wikipedia is not up-to-date. He had injuries too, including one on the first day of the season, so not bad for a crock.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=1843&season_id=143

But it's true he did better in each of the two seasons he had with us than any other since 2007

Langer

Sorry but you just contradicted yourself there.

Harley went up the pyramid and wasnt given opportunities to have the team be built around him.

Do you or do not agree Harley hasn't had any success since leaving us and Cureton has a long proven record of scoring goals?

GrecianWonder

Do you or do not agree Harley hasn't had any success since leaving us and Cureton has a long proven record of scoring goals?
I already stated my feelings on Harley. He wasn't given the chance to have a team built around him. We did that and you see where he took us.

Cureton doesn't have a record of a proven goalscorer. He has had a few decent seasons in his career.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake JW. As you point out, I'm still correct in him not scoring huge amounts apart from with us.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I already stated my feelings on Harley. He wasn't given the chance to have a team built around him. We did that and you see where he took us.

Cureton doesn't have a record of a proven goalscorer. He has had a few decent seasons in his career.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake JW. As you point out, I'm still correct in him not scoring huge amounts apart from with us.
238 league goals sounds proven to me.

Langer

We have never had the money to build a team around anyone McConnell played with him(Harley) at WSM recommended him to City he signed and fitted in quite well end of.

Cureton joined a select number of footballers who have scored over 200 league goals, by scoring his 200th and 201st in a match against Yeovil Town on 19 March 2011
I give up if your saying he isn't a proven goal scorer.

GrecianWonder

238 league goals sounds proven to me.
Lee Hughes has a much better goalscoring record than Cureton but I'm not hearing us clamour for him.

As does Matt Tubbs who has signed for AFC Wimbledon. They must have had reasons to go for him rather than Cureton who has failed to produce for many teams. If he knew what was best for him, he would have stayed here and hit 275 goals easy.

EDIT: He isn't a proven goalscorer because it doesn't work everywhere he goes. It is a fantasy idea that he can come here, fit into the style of play we are already adopting and expect him to score 20 goals. He DOES get 20+ goals when the system suits him and plays to his strengths, but we havent got the resources to rework, retrain and sign players that fit his style of play.

Back to the original point, Harley> Cureton every day of the week.

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lee Hughes has a much better goalscoring record than Cureton but I'm not hearing us clamour for him.

As does Matt Tubbs who has signed for AFC Wimbledon. They must have had reasons to go for him rather than Cureton who has failed to produce for many teams. If he knew what was best for him, he would have stayed here and hit 275 goals easy.

EDIT: He isn't a proven goalscorer because it doesn't work everywhere he goes. It is a fantasy idea that he can come here, fit into the style of play we are already adopting and expect him to score 20 goals. He DOES get 20+ goals when the system suits him and plays to his strengths, but we havent got the resources to rework, retrain and sign players that fit his style of play.

Back to the original point, Harley> Cureton every day of the week.
Matt Tubbs had one good season for Crawley (Offline had one for Barnet...) but has only scored 66 league goals in his career. Lee Hughes probably shades it from Curo as the most prolific goalscorer in the lower divisions over the last decade or so (though Cureton has a higher FL total - Hughes got a lot of his goals in the Conference), but he's also a liability off the pitch.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1993–1996 Norwich City 29 (6)
1995–1996 → Bournemouth (loan) 5 (0)
1996 → Bristol Rovers (loan) 6 (4)
1996–2000 Bristol Rovers 170 (68)
2000–2003 Reading 111 (51)
2003–2004 Busan I'Park 21 (4)
2004–2005 Queens Park Rangers 43 (6)
2005–2006 Swindon Town 30 (7)
2005–2006 → Colchester United (loan) 8 (4)
2006–2007 Colchester United 44 (23)
2007–2010 Norwich City 69 (16)
2008–2009 → Barnsley (loan) 8 (2)
2010 → Shrewsbury Town (loan) 12 (0)
2010–2011 Exeter City 41 (17)
2011–2012 Leyton Orient 19 (1)
2012 → Exeter City (loan) 7 (1)
2012–2013 Exeter City 40 (21)
2013–2014 Cheltenham Town 35 (11)

I would say overall he has scored consistently throughout his career.

1 in 3 in consistent(Which is roughly where his goalscoring is).

Saint James

Cureton is a proven goalscorer. Anyone with over 200 goals is proven. There is no debate that is fact.