• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC shop in the high street?

scholsey

Are we missing a trick as a club?

Unfortunately I had the unpleasant job of having to spend 2 hours in town today with no drinking involved. Would a shop in the high street benefit us?

Doesn’t have to be big, promote games, football in the community, junior grecians etc and general city stuff in windows. How people would pop in and potentially buy something who wouldn’t bother going to the club shop/moaning children to pop in and get a treat/Christmas etc.

Not only that but it’s ‘free’ (so to speak) advertising in the windows etc of our next games.

Not sure how much the cost would be, if it’d outweigh the sustainability of running a shop with limited extra people purchasing. I presume the club would’ve looked into it in the past?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Are we missing a trick as a club?

Unfortunately I had the unpleasant job of having to spend 2 hours in town today with no drinking involved. Would a shop in the high street benefit us?

Doesn’t have to be big, promote games, football in the community, junior grecians etc and general city stuff in windows. How people would pop in and potentially buy something who wouldn’t bother going to the club shop/moaning children to pop in and get a treat/Christmas etc.

Not only that but it’s ‘free’ (so to speak) advertising in the windows etc of our next games.

Not sure how much the cost would be, if it’d outweigh the sustainability of running a shop with limited extra people purchasing. I presume the club would’ve looked into it in the past?
Think the cost would be prohibitive. Would need a lot of passing trade. City fans will buy at SJP and non-City fans won't likely buy anyway. Nice to have but probably not profitable.

Andy_H

Think the cost would be prohibitive. Would need a lot of passing trade. City fans will buy at SJP and non-City fans won't likely buy anyway. Nice to have but probably not profitable.
If having an outlet in the High Street was financially viable then you can get your bottom dollar Chiefs would have one. But as they don't, only the limited opening Trading Post in Guildhall Shopping Centre, then it's fairly safe to assume it's not cost effective.

Colesman Ballz

As one of the team that set up the Far Post outlet for the Trust back in 2003, in the old Princesshay, yes we did explore the opportunity of a continuing presence but financially it was unjustifiable. The Far Post worked because of extremely low overheads. The unit was provided free by Land Securities as they were in dire need of good publicity in advance of their redevelopment. The Council turned a "blind eye" in respect of Business Rates in order to help the Club survive, and it was staffed purely by volunteers. The only available City Centre unit we could find to possibly continue in was a small out of the way unit on the first floor of the Guildhall Shopping Centre. This was only available because it had virtually zero footfall and wasn't remotely viable when adding rent and council tax into the equation. Yes we had great trading days and raised a considerable amount of vitally needed cash, and recruited many people for the Trust. But on a quiet day mid week you could end up taking £10 or so.

IndoMike

As one of the team that set up the Far Post outlet for the Trust back in 2003, in the old Princesshay, yes we did explore the opportunity of a continuing presence but financially it was unjustifiable. The Far Post worked because of extremely low overheads. The unit was provided free by Land Securities as they were in dire need of good publicity in advance of their redevelopment. The Council turned a "blind eye" in respect of Business Rates in order to help the Club survive, and it was staffed purely by volunteers. The only available City Centre unit we could find to possibly continue in was a small out of the way unit on the first floor of the Guildhall Shopping Centre. This was only available because it had virtually zero footfall and wasn't remotely viable when adding rent and council tax into the equation. Yes we had great trading days and raised a considerable amount of vitally needed cash, and recruited many people for the Trust. But on a quiet day mid week you could end up taking £10 or so.
What about a kiosk at Exeter Uni, Ballzy?
And do you think we are doing enough to
connect with the large Uni population? I'm just asking, not doubting.

iscalad

What about a kiosk at Exeter Uni, Ballzy?
And do you think we are doing enough to
connect with the large Uni population? I'm just asking, not doubting.
I believe the club/Trust has one during fresher's week

Colesman Ballz

I believe the club/Trust has one during fresher's week
There is even an active Exeter University supporters group "beating the drum" for City I believe. I haven't a clue what steps have been taken to encourage the occupants of the new flats, who have moved in this week, but I would have been tempted to give them all a free BB ticket for last nights game as a "pump priming" exercise, Maybe we did though ?

David Treharne

It's Fresher's Week. In the main first year students are being bombarded with potential ways to divest themselves of cash. The Freshers Squash is attended by the Club (mainly in the guise of Community Trust, but also the Club) which will raise awareness. Seducing Students to come and enjoy the 'SJP experience' is a gradual process and the Club are/and will work hard at it. The strength of the 'Exiles' groups is indicative of how the process works in the long term. The shop idea (which was a vital facet of proving the Trust as new guardians of the Club in 2003 as CB indicates) is best left dormant, with sales being centred on the current shop.

Spoonz Red E

It's Fresher's Week. In the main first year students are being bombarded with potential ways to divest themselves of cash. The Freshers Squash is attended by the Club (mainly in the guise of Community Trust, but also the Club) which will raise awareness. Seducing Students to come and enjoy the 'SJP experience' is a gradual process and the Club are/and will work hard at it. The strength of the 'Exiles' groups is indicative of how the process works in the long term. The shop idea (which was a vital facet of proving the Trust as new guardians of the Club in 2003 as CB indicates) is best left dormant, with sales being centred on the current shop.

IndoMike

Thanks, Spoonz. I was wondering what we did to connect. Looks a good deal for the students.