• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Eamonn Dolan Memorial Match - Your Stories

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uETEs0uI6OM

His two last minute goal celebrations epitomise the passion he had for ECFC and the joy he brought to the club at such a crucial time.
Ha, the OP might as well have not bothered! :)

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ha, the OP might as well have not bothered! :)
Guilty as charged!

Forever7

Stu

I'll come up with something for you. When do you need it by?

As an aside, are you aware Eamo's brother-in-law is a journo on The Guardian? I'm sure he might come up with a nice piece for you.

UtC!
Egg
Thanks Egg... I have sent you an email. Would love to have something...

Forever7

I'm not bothered whether you use this bit or not but I would like to put down on paper what a thoroughly decent human being Eamonn was.

When I was more involved with the club than I am now, I would often bump into Eamonn. He was already learning to live with the disease that was to cruelly end his life all too soon, but he was always bright and optimistic. Not for him the downtrodden façade of an old pro, everyday was a new challenge to be met with a smile and a resigned shrug of the shoulders. I never heard him say a bad word about his fellow professionals and even when he was asked about previous managers who hadn't always been particularly kind to him, he was never bitter.

There was a suggestion during my time on the Board that he could be the CEO and I have no doubt that it was a job that he could have carried off successfully. His general friendliness and ability to get people to see things his way would have been invaluable, even more so today. He loved every minute he devoted to football and people loved being with him, he wasn't in any way obsequious and always had an opinion about most things. If there was a job to be done then Eamonn was normally the one doing it. I'm sure he hated losing like everyone else, but he never allowed it to ruin his perception and as a consequence, he always emerged with a balanced view of why things had happened the way they did.

Often in these circumstances, people say "don't be sad, remember him for the time he was here" Now I can understand that viewpoint, but in Eamonn's case we have every right to be sad, we were robbed of a fine human being in the prime of his life,and for this,we are allowed to be sad and wonder why.

I'm not sure I'm really entitled to say this, but I will anyway, Eamonn was a friend and I miss him...
Lovely anecdote Malcolm and thank you for sharing that with us. Very much appreciated, thank you.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lovely anecdote Malcolm and thank you for sharing that with us. Very much appreciated, thank you.
No problem, it was a pleasure to remember Eamonn...