• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Doh! Even Torquay's New Ground is better than our redevelopment

AlanDevlin

Surely not advocating a ground-share are we?
Just remembering the similar hoohah and excitement when we were going to have a brand spanking new stadium at Matford and it all died like a damp squib when the beans were counted without any really serious proposals being put on the table...

Don't get excited for our Chip nicking neighbours just yet.....

grecianred

If Torquay are given an alternative site then I could well see the Council changing that use to housing - the ground is mostly surrounded by housing.
I think that's likely to be the case. The bbc article here suggests that as an Asset of Community Value Plainmoor is unlikely to be built upon and I think that's plain wrong. If an alternative site is found and developed it would be surprising to say the least if the site was still reserved for sporting purposes and it should be noted that unlike SJP which is designated in the Local Plan the ACV designation isn't a planning one and it's well within the gift of Torbay Council to remove the designation if they consider it necessary.

The above seems the most probable scenario since I can't see otherwise how there's a deal to be done unless of course Torbay Council is awash with prime housing land. I also can't help but wonder if in light of this the proposal hasn't been in the offing for sometime since land appears to already have been earmarked for sporting uses in the Plan and TUFC are the only obvious benefactors of such a designation.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Since this matter has little to do with ECFC or proper League football, should this not be moved to the Top to BOTTOM Forum....or, looking at the current tables, even the Obitury Thread :(

This suggestion has been brought to you by AutoPete Enterprises Inc, Avondale, Az

jmgull

It's an interesting proposition and one I know the council are quite keen to make happen...it's been whispered about for a good year now.

The proposed new stadium site is by the Willows and right on the new road into Torbay and near to where the new train station is being built, it's road links are ideal.
It's called Nightingale park, a 42 acre site that has been for several years designated by the council for future sporting use.

The question of what happens to Plainmoor is the key, I'm not sure houses would be built there.

Plainmoor is a nice fit for purpose stadium but it's never going to help the club become self sufficient.

There is a school (Westlands) right next to the ground, they are forced to use playing fields about half a mile away (Quinta close).

My bet is that Plainmoor may well be given to the school as it's own playing fields, freeing up housing developement at either Quinta Close (affluent area) or even more housing next to the proposed new stadium.

It all sounds quite promising, shame we're such a ****in' basket case on the field!

Torbay, now the road has been done, is desperate for investment and a community stadium would be ideal for the area, for a whole host of reasons.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
My bet is that Plainmoor may well be given to the school as it's own playing fields, freeing up housing developement at either Quinta Close (affluent area) or even more housing next to the proposed new stadium.

It all sounds quite promising, shame we're such a ****in' basket case on the field!
Sounds unlikely that any of this will ever happen even if Torquay United survive, but my solution would be to build houses down Marnham road and on the away end but keep the new stand and pitch for the school. Not sure about what to do with the home end and Boots and Laces, what's the potential to find a new use for the bar etc. Maybe a community sports hall associated with the school and Swim Torquay?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sounds unlikely that any of this will ever happen even if Torquay United survive, but my solution would be to build houses down Marnham road and on the away end but keep the new stand and pitch for the school. Not sure about what to do with the home end and Boots and Laces, what's the potential to find a new use for the bar etc. Maybe a community sports hall associated with the school and Swim Torquay?
I think Plainmoor will be totally used for housing for the following reasons:-

1. In an age of cutbacks on government grant funding, local authorities are being urged to supplement their budgets with land sales.

2. This is a valuable site in a prominent location. Torbay Council would be highly criticized for giving the land to a school rather than selling for housing.

4. Torbay Council has targets to meet with respect to numbers of new homes built.

3. As well as the capital receipt for the sale of the land the Council would also receive specific grant funding relating to additional Council Tax generated. Over the prescribed 6 year period this would amount to several million pounds.

Give it to a school? - I don't think so!

jmgull

Give it to a school? - I don't think so!
If Plainmoor is vacated, either houses will be built there or on their current playing fields at Quinta close....a more affluent site with views of the bay etc.

The secondary school will still need playing fields...plainmoor being next door makes more sense.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Plainmoor is vacated, either houses will be built there or on their current playing fields at Quinta close....a more affluent site with views of the bay etc.

The secondary school will still need playing fields...plainmoor being next door makes more sense.
Yes, that's a fair point - having looked on Google maps I can see the possibilities.

However there is more than one pitch on the site, so I presume it is used by other football clubs and Babbacombe Primary School? Would those football clubs agree to the loss? Is that also a changing facility there, which might need to be demolished?

I've just looked again and Google appear to have the Babbacombe PS narration in the wrong place. Is that where I thought the changing accommodation was?

Last edited:

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've also noted that access to the site appears to be poor, with perhaps Lyme Bay View being the only real possibility?

Edward

I am struggling to see how some anonymous American investor/developer can conjure up an interest in Torquay which provides more appeal to the Council and community than alternative offers from UK-based house builders. There may be sense in moving the football club and there may be sense building at Plainmoor or, more likely, Quinta Close but the prospects are likely to be more attractive to somebody who has actually built a house in the UK before!

I can remember another football club who tried to distract fans' attention from a disappointing season by suggesting grandiose re-development plans.