Does our team flatter to deceive?

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Serious question as I've started wondering about it recently. Now normally I wouldnt be too bothered. I've supported city since I was a teen, far too long ago to count. I'm well aware of dashed expectations having, like all of us, suffered enough of them in the past. I think its mark of the times we are currently living through that the effects of disappointment in results seem to have become even sharper and cut more deeply than before, at least that's how it is for me. I look to my team for at least something to smile about, feel positive about, but perhaps I shouldn't. Maybe my expectations are far too high? The question is this I guess. Using your head, as opposed to your ecfc engraved heart, are we a mediocre side who are capable of decent football and winning at times but dont expect too much as we flatter to deceive, or are we actually a good team who for some reason are floundering of late? My own engraved heart always tells me the latter but more recently my head has doubted that and tells me the former. That's ok though because if I know I shouldn't expect too much i can stop being downright depressed about it as there's already a lot out there to be depressed about besides bloody football results.

Grecian Max

I think it's a pretty good team tbh. Seen enough of fourth division football to recognise one. Squad wise we have decent depth and some really, really good players for this level.

They are on a wobble at the moment, but autos should still be the aim with this squad.

Bootroom

I would say Taylor is lucky to have what was left for him by the previous regime and also the Youth section. As those players certainly cover up the series of poor signings he has made. Other then Law I think we can all agree no one else rates better then 5/10

Grecian Max

I would say Taylor is lucky to have what was left for him by the previous regime and also the Youth section. As those players certainly cover up the series of poor signings he has made. Other then Law I think we can all agree no one else rates better then 5/10
Can you name these "lucky to haves" from the previous regime?

Grecianpasty

We have a wonderful young team for this league. The quality of those players is their attacking strengths, where also lies the problem. Defensively we are poor. There's no getting away from the fact that Sweeney and Parkes where not what MT imagined his primary centre backs to be. Added to that, the way in which we play with two attacking full backs and a light weight midfield (minus atangana) leaves us suceptible on set pieces and counter attacks.

Despite us having Signed Stubbs I don't believe we have enough consistent performances in us to challenge for the autos, and because we haven't signed a second striker to battle with Bowman.

I absolutely think we are good enough for the play offs.

raleighnc

We have a wonderful young team for this league. The quality of those players is their attacking strengths, where also lies the problem. Defensively we are poor. There's no getting away from the fact that Sweeney and Parkes where not what MT imagined his primary centre backs to be. Added to that, the way in which we play with two attacking full backs and a light weight midfield (minus atangana) leaves us suceptible on set pieces and counter attacks.

Despite us having Signed Stubbs I don't believe we have enough consistent performances in us to challenge for the autos, and because we haven't signed a second striker to battle with Bowman.

I absolutely think we are good enough for the play offs.
But as ever we won’t be good enough to win the play offs, so the point is?

raleighnc

We have to plan and work on winning the league, not 2nd not 3rd, not playoffs. Anything less means an immediate struggle in league 1.

Grecianpasty

But as ever we won’t be good enough to win the play offs, so the point is?
I absolutely don't want to see us in the play offs. But finishing fourth, as frustrating as it would be, would be considered a successful season.