• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Disgraceful Scenes at Home Park

loobygrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have read through a few pages of this thread and felt compelled to post. Have never had to watch my back so much going to a football match - which is not what its all about! Delighted that we won, but that delight was overshadowed by fear and intimidation. It is making me think twice about going in December now. Am all up for some banter, but things went way too far in my opinion - going to a football match should be an enjoyable experience - not one where you are sh*t scared to be honest.

les.gtfc

It is a real shame when scenes like this mar the game but it's the same almost everywhere when there are local derbies. Whenever we play Lincoln or Scunthorpe out come the knuckledraggers who have no intention of going to watch a football match and just intent on causing trouble. Our reputation have taken a battering recently after the event at Burton on the last day of the season where again the mongs came out in force and ended up shaming my proud club after the game. I know quite a few idiots who weren't even Grimsby fans and had only travelled (without tickets) for "the row"

Grecian1987

Well, that was interesting...!

I got in the ground nice and early to enjoy some feisty banter with the GAWS. Certainly on the edge stuff, but enjoyable.

However, the scenes with the flare, their fans fighting stewards and trying to rush the away end were disgraceful. I thought they didn't care about us?

I couldn't see any City fans making trouble but I could be wrong.

Personally I thought the Police did a fairly decent job (from what I experienced), but there were in no way enough of them.

When we got out of the ground into the car park it was like a war zone with everyone running around, coach windows smashed etc. Thankfully we had our colours tucked away under our jackets so just got our heads down and headed to the car, which was unfortunately parked where 200-odd hooligans were gathered, smashing cars waiting at traffic lights. We were strangely directed down that road (Police not knowing we were City fans) and had to walk right through a very angry group of people. This was the scariest moment of the night for me - if anyone had found out we were City fans we would have been screwed. Thankfully I managed to get my car out and drive away as quickly as possible.

I've never seen anything like it. I can look after myself and was expecting trouble but it was scary stuff.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've not read the whole thread, but from what I have read on here and in the press, it strikes me as an absolutely massive over reaction. I thought the police did a very good job at keeping both sets of fans apart after the game, and generally policed the car park as well as they could. I did feel the need to look over my shoulder now and again in the car park, but it didn't seem anywhere near as bad as after the Friday night cup game when we lot 4-1, not even in the same league.

I've not read the whole thread, but from what I have read on here and in the press, it strikes me as an absolutely massive over reaction. I thought the police did a very good job at keeping both sets of fans apart after the game, and generally policed the car park as well as they could. I did feel the need to look over my shoulder now and again in the car park, but it didn't seem anywhere near as bad as after the Friday night cup game when we lot 4-1, not even in the same league.
Not a massive over reaction at all. After being to a lot of Derby Games including the one you mentioned I and my family have never been subjected / or witnessed to/ so much hatred and violence. Just count yourself very lucky that you were not caught up in the Ugly Scences.

jase 07

I reckon the police deliberately let this get out of control, as a means of identifying trouble makers and being able to place banning orders on all of them, so as to flush out in foul swoop as many of them as possible. The way the police look at it, the trouble makers played right into their hands and if several arrests were made with banning orders following, the night would have been a huge success for D&C.. I've had a text this morning saying 20 arrests were made last night, not sure how true that is
I understand your point and your theory may well be true, but somebody could have been killed or seriously injured, is it worth that risk just to snare 20odd hooligans. These idiots are not the brightest and I am sure if D&C's finest used their imagination they could identify / catch most of the troublemakers without putting innocent supporters at excessive risk.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I wasn't there on Tuesday night so have no idea how scary it was but personally I hope as many people as possible, including families, will still want to go to the league game. This will show, in the right way, that Exeter City fans are not intimidated by the mindless, thuggish minority and that we are proud to be a community club supported by all parts of that community.
Absolutely spot on. My sentiments too. Once we give in to this kind of behaviour it's the thin end of the wedge.

I hope and expect that lessons will have been learned from Tuesday night and cerainly don't expect the same thing to happen twice.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

ecfcandy

Well, that was interesting...!

I got in the ground nice and early to enjoy some feisty banter with the GAWS. Certainly on the edge stuff, but enjoyable.

However, the scenes with the flare, their fans fighting stewards and trying to rush the away end were disgraceful. I thought they didn't care about us?

I couldn't see any City fans making trouble but I could be wrong.

Personally I thought the Police did a fairly decent job (from what I experienced), but there were in no way enough of them.

When we got out of the ground into the car park it was like a war zone with everyone running around, coach windows smashed etc. Thankfully we had our colours tucked away under our jackets so just got our heads down and headed to the car, which was unfortunately parked where 200-odd hooligans were gathered, smashing cars waiting at traffic lights. We were strangely directed down that road (Police not knowing we were City fans) and had to walk right through a very angry group of people. This was the scariest moment of the night for me - if anyone had found out we were City fans we would have been screwed. Thankfully I managed to get my car out and drive away as quickly as possible.

I've never seen anything like it. I can look after myself and was expecting trouble but it was scary stuff.
sounds like i had the same sort of expereince as you! in the carpark outside the ground was horrible! people were just mindlessly runnibg around tearing the place up etc...

crocks

"We are deeply concerned......

Illustrates perfectly the difference between the two clubs. The official statement from PAFC trying to sweep everything under the carpet and the serious (and correct) tone from City.