• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Disgraceful Scenes at Home Park

FAN-TATIC

Having been to many devon derbies and watched football for over 20 years I have not witnessed scenes like that ever! From my perspective Plymouth Argyle Football Club are totally at fault for not putting their hand in their pocket and funding the correct amount of policing. Innocent Stewards and football loving fans were hurt today in what where unacceptable scenes.

I am all for good banter and creating a good atmosphere but when I have to leave the game and then run with my wife and 2 young boys in tears as we are chased back inside by hooligans who did not care who they hit is disgraceful. My children were left in tears and so upset that they have no interest in attending the league game.We saw elderley men with blood on their faces and children screaming.

We spent a good amount of time speaking with a Chief Inspector from Exeter who went to the game to see how they managed the crowds( who reassured my son, showed him his badge and was a lovely chap) who was appalled by the incidents, lack of control and disgraceful scenes. He assured us a full investigation will take place.

A great game, a great derby atmosphere, but marred by behaviour that was totally unacceptable and totally uncontrolled by police and stewards, who through no fault of their own where totally under manned.

Chris
I think PA failed in at least two aspects:
(1) They should have sealed off a large section of the end of the PA supporters stand closest to the away fans stand. To create s section of no-mans land.

(2) The stewards should not have allowed PA fans to stand in the walkway located in front the of the PA supporters stand.

The police should have taken steps to ensure that either all City fans remained in the ground or better still all PA fans until the ECFC fans had gone.

When we left the ground (some for first to leave) there was a crowd of PA fans already stood in the middle of the access lane to the City end inviting anyone "who wanted it to come and get it" The police at this time had not arrived in this area of the ground. One would have thought that this was a high priority area and should have had a police presence before the game had actually finished.

Notwithstanding the above the violence was both sickening and mindless. PA should be feeling very disappointed with themselves and the FL should investigate further. It is simply unacceptable.

In December don't take a coach to the ground or park your car there, use a side street as we did. It was a mile walk but well worth it.

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
I think PA failed in at least two aspects:
(1) They should have sealed off a large section of the end of the PA supporters stand closest to the away fans stand. To create s section of no-mans land.

(2) The stewards should not have allowed PA fans to stand in the walkway located in front the of the PA supporters stand.

The police should have taken steps to ensure that either all City fans remained in the ground or better still all PA fans until the ECFC fans had gone.

When we left the ground (some for first to leave) there was a crowd of PA fans already stood in the middle of the access lane to the City end inviting anyone "who wanted it to come and get it" The police at this time had not arrived in this area of the ground. One would have thought that this was a high priority area and should have had a police presence before the game had actually finished.

Notwithstanding the above the violence was both sickening and mindless. PA should be feeling very disappointed with themselves and the FL should investigate further. It is simply unacceptable.

In December don't take a coach to the ground or park your car there, use a side street as we did. It was a mile walk but well worth it.
I'm right behind you 'Testicular', incognito of course....fecking hooligans....p.s. bring something long and hard next time to protect US!;)

lukey25

As an Argyle fan I feel inclined to apolgise for these so-called supporters - it was a disgrace and made me feel ashamed to be a PAFC fan, some of these stories on here are horrible and depressing to read from my point of view. I find it so dissapointing that what should be fun harmless banter can be turned into such disgusting actions. Some of these lot just wanted a fight with whoever they could - my friend (an Argyle fan) was punched in the face by a so-called fellow fan for accidently brushing his arm when walking past - he said we wanted no trouble and walked away but it left him pretty shaken.

I don't think its right that all PAFC supporters are "scum" though as some posters seem to state over and over - you'd find that 99% of genuine supporters you could have a pint with and have good banter with so please do not tar all PAFC fans with this pretty lame insult - its used on our boards too and it really is moronic to label an entire fanbase with this word - the only "scum" were the few hundred hooligans intent on causing trouble - not the other 7,000.

I agree with Fan-Tatic on his suggestions - the D+C police are not exactly known for the strategic knowledge unfortunately and only ever try to lear from mistakes instead of preventing them in the first place. I felt police were hit and miss individually - some were genuinely trying to calm the situation some were on a massive power trip desperate for it to kick off. I saw a few blokes having a drink at HT and a police chap nearly pushed one of them over saying he couldn't drink there in a very intimidating fashion (he was about 1 yard over the yellow line) - this sort of behaviour never helps, a simple could you please move back behind the line, or just using common sense and letting it go would have sufficed.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
We might aswell start a 'Disgraceful scenes at Home Park' thread on December 10th. It's going to happen again whether you like it or not...

Cravat

I am friends with quite a few Argyle fans and I know, as others on here surely do, that these people are very much the minority.

You can guarantee that our minority of muppets will be out in force trying to cause trouble when we meet at SJP.

Last edited:

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
What's all this about 'minority'? What i saw last night was THE WHOLE of 'zoo corner' all giving it large, zoo corner was home to about a third of all Argyle support, hardly minority. As for our end, it was a similar story. I dont think minority is the word...seemed more MAJORITY if you ask me...

Cravat

What's all this about 'minority'? What i saw last night was THE WHOLE of 'zoo corner' all giving it large, zoo corner was home to about a third of all Argyle support, hardly minority. As for our end, it was a similar story. I dont think minority is the word...seemed more MAJORITY if you ask me...
I'm talking about those that were actually causing the trouble. I don't think being passionate during the game is a problem - by all accounts the atmosphere was terrific.

The problem is attacking people in the car park afterwards. That was a minority or were all 7000 Argyle fans involved?

Last edited:

FAN-TATIC

I'm right behind you 'Testicular', incognito of course....fecking hooligans....p.s. bring something long and hard next time to protect US!;)
Didn't expect you to be up front Reggie. Gotta say the speed with which you and Knapper reached getting back to the car was impressive. 50K Walk at the London Olympics a possibility then?????? Don't forget to book a PA DEADHEAD to chase you round the course.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We might aswell start a 'Disgraceful scenes at Home Park' thread on December 10th. It's going to happen again whether you like it or not...
You going down a day early? Brave.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
You going down a day early? Brave.
You missed my point. I meant you might aswell start the thread a day before the game, it's going to happen. You might aswell start talking about 'shocking' events unfolding at Home Park in the League fixture.