• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Diego Maradona film

ex_user1234

Resigned
Just watched this on 4OD. What a film. Highly, highly recommended.

Ed

Legohead

Banned
Absolutely. I miss those types of players. Just prepared to pick the ball up, run with it and not fall over at the slightest touch. Pure determination to head for goal every time. Just goes to show that a lot of modern players are embarrassingly weak. The number of shocking challenges dished out to Maradona and he rides them and stays on his feet because it means more to him making progress with the ball than falling over and getting a free kick.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Couldn't bring myself to watch Diego Muthafunker in anything other than a grave.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Absolutely. I miss those types of players. Just prepared to pick the ball up, run with it and not fall over at the slightest touch. Pure determination to head for goal every time. Just goes to show that a lot of modern players are embarrassingly weak. The number of shocking challenges dished out to Maradona and he rides them and stays on his feet because it means more to him making progress with the ball than falling over and getting a free kick.
Yeah he did pick the ball up and jump with it !

Legohead

Banned
I just miss players who would rather drive forward and take on the opponent at every chance rather than get faced with an opponent and take the easy option and pass it back to safety like most do these days. Safe play. Boring. Average footballers.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Couldn't bring myself to watch Diego Muthafunker in anything other than a grave.
I felt that way at the time and for many, many years after, but at least he admits he cheated. Realistically we wouldn't have beaten West Germany in the final, so I don't think we lost the World Cup because of Maradona.

Watching the film, I've come full circle and actually felt proud that the best goal of all time by the best player of all time was against England. It know that sounds weird, but 1986 is a long time ago and what we watched that day, however painful, was history.

I unashamedly love Maradona. In my view the greatest player that ever lived, by a country mile. He singlehandedly won the World Cup and he singlehandedly won Serie A with a team that no one gave a chance. And he did it in mind boggling style.

Legohead

Banned
I don't support England so that hand of God doesn't bother me. I'm with Ed though. Second best player I've ever watched behind Messi.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Just to be clear the best goal of all time was not the Hand of God!!!! The other one...

ex_user1234

Resigned
I don't support England so that hand of God doesn't bother me. I'm with Ed though. Second best player I've ever watched behind Messi.
Messi is as skilful as Maradona but he hasn't:

- won the World Cup, let alone won it singlehandedly

- won a league title with a mediocre team that has never won a championship, let alone won it singlehandedly

- scored the best goal of all time

Maradona has done all three!!!

Legohead

Banned
Take your point Ed. I just prefer to watch Messi at his best than Maradona. There's little in it though.